• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle swap/upgrade question

Which direction?

• Hub conversion and XJ 44

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Waggy axles

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Ford axles

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherokee91Red

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I'm running a 27 spline 8.25 and hpd30 currently. I'm not looking to put any more money into the 8.25.

#1- Originally I was planning on finding and XJ44 for the rear and doing a hub conversion on the 30, all locked up with 4.88's.

#2- I have just now come to the realization that 80 and up Waggys had driver side drop 44's. So I am considering a Waggy axle swap and worry about the low pinion up front, and doing the work for the coil setup. The rears are only 58" wide so its either get wheel spacers or I don't know if there are other rear ends that run in the 60-62", J-10's maybe?

#3- Get a HP44 from an old Ford truck and narrow it down and then find a rear axle with the same width with a 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern, or narrow the 9' while I'm at it. How difficult is it to narrow an axle?

Right now my dilemma is to keep ease of installation with the 30/XJ44 and do the hub conversion. Or work with the modification of the waggy axles, but cheaper because of no hub conversion.The narrowing is probably the hardest of the 3 but will last the longest. I do moderate wheeling in Uwharrie and Tellico, locked f/r, planning on running 33 to 35" tires for the next few years. I'm trying to find the most cost effective approach and keep the install difficulty as low as possible, whatever a happy medium would be I'm not sure.

dont forget about the Tacoma V6, 2wd rear axles... 60.75" wide and 5x4.5 BP, 30 spline...........

I'm doin the Tacoma rear and Mile Marker hub conversion......(maybe)

I doubt you will have any problems with 33's or even 35's with your current combo. I vote save your $$ buy a spare or two and see if you start breaking stuff. I also wouldnt worry about a hub conversion.

The D30 hub conversion is too expensive to be a good option. With some good scrounging, you should be able to set up a Wagoneer 44 for not much more than the cost of the hub kit.

I like this recipe for XJs:

'76-'77 F150 HP D44 cut down to accept Wagoneer axles. Use the Waggy knuckles and stuff because the Jeep/GM brakes are simpler than the F150. The tie rods are also on the top with a Jeep D44 knuckle.

Toyota Tacoma 4x4 rear axle - width is nearly stock XJ.

R&P and traction device of your choice

or this one:

same front axle as above, but using ford hub/rotor for 5x5.5 pattern

68-72 F100 9" converted to 31 spline with some axles from Currie - again, the width is spot on.

gears/lockers as you see fit

HoodRichXJ said:
SO A 68-70 F100 9" IS around 60" inches wide? what spline are the shafts in those???

Yes, 57-72 are all the same width. I have yanked one out of a '66 and it measured about 61". They are all 28 spline but can be converted with custom axles from Currie or others. It may be possible to cut and re-spline some 31 spline axles from a '73 and up F150, but I'd have to measure them again.
The 68-72s are the best to scrounge because they have the same brakes as the later F150s.

You should be fine running full width hp44/9" in NC. The extra amount of width would give U more stability for the muddy trails there. I'm going with the same axles and seeing how they do on the narrow trails here in Northern California (Rubicon/Fordyce) and in Johnson Valley (Southern Cali).
Troy

Cherokee91Red said:
I do moderate wheeling in Uwharrie and Tellico, locked f/r, planning on running 33 to 35" tires for the next few years. I'm trying to find the most cost effective approach and keep the install difficulty as low as possible, whatever a happy medium would be I'm not sure.

keep what you have, a d44 upgrade will not net you much. and 33-35 is pretty reasonable. IMO. put money into T-case gears, lockers, axle gears, and go wheelin.

make the rear 29 spline and have at it. get some spare front axles just for security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back