• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

those with rear hitches...I got a ?

99greenjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Do you use a receiver shackle bracket with a D-ring for getting unstuck?
Do you use a reciever tow hook braket?
Do you use just a hitch pin?

I'm gettin a hitch and want to know the what accessories to get if I ever need to use it.

thanks,
Dave

99greenjeeper said:
Do you use a receiver shackle bracket with a D-ring for getting unstuck?
Do you use a reciever tow hook braket?
Do you use just a hitch pin?

I'm gettin a hitch and want to know the what accessories to get if I ever need to use it.

thanks,
Dave

i use both a D-ring (shackle) bar as well as a big tow-hook welded into a 2" bar... generally have the hook in the front and the D-ring in the rear.. a hitch pin will work when you have nothing else but it wasnt designed to take the load without a bar in the reciever...

I use a shackle bracket with a D-ring. It was more expensive, but in the multiple times I've pulled people or been pulled, its never failed. IMO there are too many conflicting opinions on just a hitch pin to just do that.

D-ring is definitely the best. Pin is okay and I think it's more reliable than a hook. Hooks can damage the strap if the strap ever bounces onto the tip of the hook (it will stab right through it. I still owe logdog for the running through of his nice strap).

I use a D shackle insert into the receiver hitch. I have a 3" wide by 20' long nylon recovery strap with 3 rigging shackles available in the back of the XJ for fastening the recovery strap to my D shackle and to the vehicle being pulled. I also have 2 tow hooks up front by Custom 4x4. Quite often, I have to help unstick another vehicle out in the desert. It is part of my patrol job.

The centered position of the rear receiver hitch seems to work for everything that I have encountered from the rear. I guess that the rear wheels being fixed in direction contribute to that. But, in front, I found that having a tow hook on each side of the vehicle really helps. The front wheels being turned towards the pull usually require using the tow hook on that side. It just works better that way.

sidriptide said:
i use both a D-ring (shackle) bar as well as a big tow-hook welded into a 2" bar... generally have the hook in the front and the D-ring in the rear.. a hitch pin will work when you have nothing else but it wasnt designed to take the load without a bar in the reciever...
I use the same setup.

Warn insert with D-ring shackle

So I use a 5/8 pin in a class 3 because I havent gotten a dring and insert yet. For convenience sake and stress on a strap im going dring. Now i dont see how an insert held in by a 5/8 pin is somehow stronger than a 5/8 pin but anyway...dring seems to make the most sense to me.

-P

The only disadvantage I could see to using a hitch pin would be on a side pull that would make the hitch cut ito the strap a little.

Back