• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fender advise please

scottsxj

NAXJA Forum User
the 30's have been on for a while now and just today i noticed that i have a few nice size slices in the tire. I cant lift it right now and im not the best with the sawzal so what is yalls adivise of what to do for this problem. Is there something i can buy to line the fender with or maybe there is someone in the richmond va area with some skillz with the saw that would be willing to cut it for me. Thanks alot

scott

no real skills needed just be careful with your mesurments. teh actual cut gets covered by the fender flares. Just hace extra baldes handy.

You might find a jigsaw a easier to control and doing a neater cut , a sawzal can be a little violent if the blade gets pinched and jams. Either way be sure to get the right blade.

if you are using a sawzall use a "search and rescue" blade, the shorter the better as to not encroach on things behind and cause more damage than desired.

i would reccomend a 5" search and rescue. they sell them wherever they sell sawzall blades :thumb:

Harbor Freight sells a nice little sheet metal air saw for body trimming.....I borrowed my buddy's to do some a while back and it works pretty slick. Costs about $40.

yeah well see the fender just starts shaking like crazy when i start to cut because i took the support out from behind the fender so its hard to get a straight cut.

That's the cool thing about the body saw, it uses high speed and a small blade with a high tooth count per inch so there is no grabbing of metal while cutting.

the question to me is what tools do you have? do u ahve a sawzall? do u have a jigsaw? do u have a grinder? with no fender support, the grinder would probably work the best, with one of the thin cutoff wheels. no extra tools to buy, i'd imagine (tho i'm not sure) that a body saw is gonna be an airhog, so unles you ahve a decent compressor its gonna be a PITA. if you don't ahve any, then go get a decent metal scissors and do it with that. can can be done, tho it wouldn't be fun. personally,i used a jijsaw one the front, but my fenders were off at the time as well.

I used a grinder and a cutoff wheel and it worked good and cut smooth without getting away from you. rocklizardfabrications has a good article in the tech about doing this. Make sure you use some masking tape before cutting and draw a line.

after i trimmed my fenders i went to Pep Boys and got some Bling-Bling door edge trim.. its a plastic "U"channel with adhesive already in the channel.. you press it on the edge of your fender, door, trunk, or whatever and it holds pretty good... so when i stuff my tires up in the wells i dont cut them.. i just smash the fender.. and it came in sexy gold to match the trim on my limited.. it was like $15 for a 20' roll.. you can kinda see it in this pic..

standard

Back