• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 4.5" SF rear leaf question

J98cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I was taking off my stock rear leaf springs and I was wondering if i could drop my whole axle instead of keeping one leaf spring attatched. I saw a read up where someone dropped the whole axle but isnt it not supported then? I would think that the axle could just role and pull my driveshaft out of the transfer case or something. Any advice, pictures, write ups on a way to do this would be great. RE 6130 4.5" superflex

J98cherokee said:
I was taking off my stock rear leaf springs and I was wondering if i could drop my whole axle instead of keeping one leaf spring attatched. I saw a read up where someone dropped the whole axle but isnt it not supported then? I would think that the axle could just role and pull my driveshaft out of the transfer case or something. Any advice, pictures, write ups on a way to do this would be great. RE 6130 4.5" superflex

i would suggest you drop the whole axle to the ground.. remove the d/shaft first to make it easier to work with and move around.. with the axle removed you can work with the springs with nothing in your way.. a floor jack under the center section and at least 1 friend to hold the axle from falling when you drop it.

sidriptide said:
i would suggest you drop the whole axle to the ground.. remove the d/shaft first to make it easier to work with and move around.. with the axle removed you can work with the springs with nothing in your way.. a floor jack under the center section and at least 1 friend to hold the axle from falling when you drop it.

BRAKELINES????

Why not drop it onto jack stands and just leave it in place, although lowered to allow room to work with the leaf springs. Or if you're lifting your vehicle, what's the advantage to dealing with both sides at once? Every time I do mine I do one side at a time because it seems easier.

I did em both at once, didn't disconnect the ds or the brake line just took it out of the bracket and had no problems.
if you do one at a time i would loosen and re-tighten all bolts once it is on level just to make sure nothing was tightened while in a bind.

HAVE A FRIEND HANDY preefrerrably 2.

this thread reminds me....anyone get a bad leaf pack from RC? my right side is an inch lower than my left, and my front 3/4 lower than the back(winch).

Back