• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distributor installation

LouisianaZJ

NAXJA Member #1362
this is a 98 4.0

is it really necessary to get the dist to TDC to install the distributor? wouldn't i be able to just note the postion of the rotor on the dist with measurements from the engine block or something?

from what i understand the distibutor housing is notched or something, so i should not have to dial that in correct?

any other hints? just ordered the part, should be here in about 5 days.

im replacing it b/c i think it might be bent or something? i can feel the dist hitting the cap and it makes a loud ticking sound. i replaced the plugs, cap and rotor already

Changing a distributor on a running 4.0l is pretty simple, I've done it on 2 now.

Take the cap off, and mark the position of the rotor tip with a permanent marker on the top of the distributor. Mark the new housing in the same position. Remove the hold down bolt, and pull the old housing straight out of the block. Insert the new distributor into the block. You may have to reach into the hole with a long screwdriver and rotate the oil pump slightly to get the gear started on the right tooth. Once the new housing is firmly down, you'll know if you're a tooth off one way or the other, pulll it and rotate if necessary.

The whole thing shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes at the most.

Back