• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serious Transmission issues...

Overdriven

NAXJA Member #1020
Went wheelin today. On the way down I developed a trans fluid leak out of the front of the bell housing. It was a steady drip on the exhaust pipe so I was able to help get rid of the local mosquito problem. Bought some extra tranny fluid incase it bacame major.

Got to the trails and the leak almost stopped. While on the trail (after an hour in 4 lo and 1st gear) my tranny didn't want to go in to reverse. It just acted like it was in netrual. Checked the fluid levels, they were fine. Cut wheeling short due to no reverse. Went back to camp and let the Jeep cool for 45 min. Reverse worked fine. Didn't want to push my luck so I headed home. Added a quart of tranny fluid before I left and used it all within 45 min of driving. Added another to get me home. It's leaking pretty good now.

My question. Replace the seal and get a tranny cooler due to the reverse problem or is that being caused by something more. Should I send it in for a rebuild.

88 XJ 4.0l AW4, np231, 110k miles, 31" muds, 3" lift, welded d35.
Thanks.

I'd change the seal, flush the box, and see what happens after. If you are bold, you can get a seal kit and dismount (then clean and reassemble) the valve body - but that's probably more work than necessary. I've got a couple early valve bodies if you come up needing a new one.

Transmissions like to have strange failures due to fluid loss, and the best thing to do is fix the basic problem and see what you get next. It is not always necessary to get a rebuild - usually just fixing the simple problem is the best solutions.

5-90

Back