• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sound bar install

scottsxj

NAXJA Forum User
ok well i picked up a sound bar the other day at the junk yard for 9 bucks, the actual bar was 3 and then the crap speakers that came in it were 3 dollars a piece
speakerbar.jpg
so how do i get this guy in without the posts from the junk yard is it something that i can just use some screws in

connections.jpg
and will these just plug into my existing wires, thanks

scott

Last edited:
I did an install like yours and here's how I did it.

Since you have pulled the part yourself you have a good idea how to install it, I just used some longer sheetmetal screws in place of the longer pins. My Jeep wasn't wired for the soundbar so I had to figure out the wiring to the hatch speakers and tap into them. I made my connections for the speakers on the upper right headliner area.

BTW.......that is the best deal ever :sunshine:

I did the same thing as flawless. Just use some longer sheet metal screws for the cargo light bracket and it will work fine. The wires for the speakers in the rear hatch are under the headliner in the upper divers side corner. I used a couple of those plastic quick taps to run wires to my speakers, just make sure you get the left and right sides correct or it will sound funny. You got a smoking deal on your sound bar. I paid $20 for mine and then got some cheap Pioneer 5 ¼” 3 ways to put in it. The whole thing was pretty easy to do and sounds a heck of a lot better than the factory set up.

WHat years did they put those in. I've only owned or rode in the early '90s or lat 80's XJ's and I've never seen them. I'd love to snag a sound bar to put in my XJ.

TEXJ said:
WHat years did they put those in. I've only owned or rode in the early '90s or lat 80's XJ's and I've never seen them. I'd love to snag a sound bar to put in my XJ.
i think it was just an option that not too many people got. Oh and does anyone have any suggestions as to what i might be able to do about the sagging cloth on it. Thanks

Just a thought...

I have a sound bar also that I'll install in the spring. I'm thinking about installing it not in the stock postition but closer to the front - just above the rear seat backs. I figure it will give me better imaging and clearer sound as I will not have to turn down the fade as much in the front.

Since I have to replace the headliner anyway I'll have to rig something to hold up the center.

Regarding the fabric pull off. You might be able to carefully pull away the fabric and spray with 3M 77.

scottsxj said:
i think it was just an option that not too many people got.

The sound bar was added in '93, and was not an option, it became standard in all XJs. Then of course in 97 with all the upgrades that took place, the sound bar was "built" into the headliner, where it stayed until the end of production............ :lecture:

91 Jeep Project said:
The sound bar was added in '93, and was not an option, it became standard in all XJs. Then of course in 97 with all the upgrades that took place, the sound bar was "built" into the headliner, where it stayed until the end of production............ :lecture:

I don't think it was a stock feature at all. I have been XJ shopping for the last couple of weeks and I haven't run across 1 XJ with a soundbar, and believ me I look for it. I always understood it to be a dealer installed option but I could be wrong. As a matter of fact I scoured my local yards for a couple of years to find the one I had. I wonder if the 97 up headliner would swap into a 96 down?

91 Jeep Project said:
My 93 doesn't have the sound bar. The only one's I've seen it in is 95 and newer.

Mike

91 Jeep Project said:
My '94 has one, need a pic??? I have never heard or seen anything to lead me to believe that this was an option.......... :lecture:

In my travels over the last few weeks I have looked at 20+ XJ's. I would be willong to say that at least 7 or 8 of em were beteween 94 and 97 with the rest both older and newer. I looked in each one for a soundbar and I didn't find one. I also have spent the last few years going to wrecking yards looking for odd/ rare XJ stuff and in all my time doing that I have only found 1 which I still have. I just can't believe they were stock on any year with the exception of em being part of the headliner. I can't see people pulling em out and throwing em in the trash but if what you say is true it must be happening, because I could probably get you 5 pics of 95 and 96 XJ's without em. :huh:

EAGLE................

What say you?

You just pop off the grills and they unscrew, pretty easy to do. As far as the option dispute goes. I have always understood that this became a standard option in '93. It has never been said otherwise and all the years I have seen seem to have them. Not sure what to say on this one........ :gag:

I would say that it came with the premium speaker package. But I have the Jensen Package and the sound bar in my '94, and my buddy has the regular speaker setup and the sound bar as well in his '96............... :wierd:

Last edited:
I pulled my sound bar from a ’94. There was one other one in the junkyard at the time (out of 15+ XJs) and both of them had the premium sound systems. I assumed that the sound bar was part of the premium sound system. There were plenty of other XJs in the same year group that didn’t have them (and no they weren’t already removed, you would be able to see the faded spot on the headliner and the messed up dome light). These are the only two sound bars I have ran across and I’ve done quite a bit of searching over the last two years. As soon as I seen the tan one (matched my interior) I gleefully paid the $20 and took it. :laugh3:

I have had both a 94 and a 97, neither of which had a sound bar, however my sisters 98 POS 4cyl SE with no other options had one go figure, I think I'll go get it out tomorrow, what a good idea, she totaled it last month.

Thats not possible, the sound bar WAS added to the headliner in 97 on the newer body style. The only differences between the premium package and the regular speaker package was the addition of tweeters. Therefore all jeeps had 4 speakers from the factory. I would like to see a picture of someone with a 97+ that has speakers in the hatch............ :pig:

From the limited's I've seen, late 80's/early 90's there was a set of tweeters in the lower dash. Mine actually has the wiring for them, but the lower dash is different, in the way that there aren't the screw mounts for them, although I do have a set of the actualy speakers from an '89 limited, so I guess the lower dash panel had to different types depending on whether it had them or not. The screw mounts seems to be the only difference I've noticed.

Back