• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone wanna go play in the snow next weekened??

rpraterxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to find a few people to go on an "easy" snow run. I wsa thinking of going to Holcomb Valley (3N16) and see what it is like. For this un-official run, snow chains, tow points, strap (no-metal hooks), shovel, and warm clothes will be mandatory.

If I get a few people interested, I will post a Run Announcement with time & place. I am thinking of next Saturday, meeting at Big Bear Discovery Center around 9:00 AM.

Let me know,

Robert

Bond (Outlaw ZJ) and I were talking about Big Bear on Saturday, the 8th.

That's what I am thinking.

I have had at least 3 responses of people wanting to go, so I will post a run announcement.

What trails were you thinking of? I was thinking of an easy trail (3N16). This is a wide trail that intersects with many others. We can run 3N16 over to 3N14. This is not a challenging route, but deep snow will take some time.

With snow, any trail is a little harder. I am thinking of bringing my wife's Tahoe and my XJ. She has a friend with a Tahoe that I am going to invite.

They are expecting a lot more snow between now and next Saturday. The biggest problem will be traffic going up the hill. I recommend taking hwy 38 through Redland's. Meet at the Discovery center.

I'm interested in going. 3N16 looks like a regular dirt road but with all the snow (they forecast snow through Friday) that may be kind of challenging in itself. Also if this is a SUV friendly run (sounds like you may bring at least one along) then I have a friend who may want to came along as well.

Stock 4x4 vehicles with tow points and tire chains will be welcome. There may be a ton of snow and it may be hard for lifted rigs. Stockers may have more problems.

I am finalizing details and will post the run announcement tomorrow. I am looking at the weather details.

Look for the announcment tomorrow.

Robert

OK, I am re-thinking this trip for this weekend. I think the conditions may NOT be suitable to haev fun. They are expecting over 2 more feet of snow this week. That means there could be more than 4 feet of snow. I am not going to try off-road in that much snow with my rig. I am thinking of going up the following weekend, either on Sunday or Monday (MLK Holiday). Saturday is the fender trimming, so Sunday or Monday woudl be a good test of the trim job.

Of course, there are people that may still want to go up this weekend, please post so other will know. But I am not going to try it. I may go up and play a little (sledding), but I don't feel like diggin, strapping, barely going anywhere.

Please let em know who is interested in the following weekend, Sunday 16th, or Monday 17th.

Thanks,

Robert

I explored 3n16 (holcomb valley road)

Usually a dirt road and could be driven in a subaru.

However on Sunday, the snow was bumper deep in places (and my ZJ has 7" lift and is sitting on 35's)

Needless to say it was interesting...

Yeah, that's what I keep hearing. A friend was up there with his 78 full size Cherokee Chief (all steel) with 8" lift and 35's and he was pushing snow with his bumper as well.

I will be planning a trip up for the following weekend, hopefully on Monday (MLK holiday).

I am just looking around to see who is available and can go up then. interested?

Robert

Back