• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A different way to weld a 35

Overdriven

NAXJA Member #1020
I've heard a few guys talk about this and I did a search and couldn't come up with anything. I'm looking for opinions on the best way to weld a 35. This is temp for about 3 months till I get the money together to afford front gears to match the 8.25 in my side yard.

Here's the idea

Use a welder to fill in 2 opposite teeth on the bottom and top spider gears. It allows the axles to have a little play (about a 1/4 turn) in them before the spider gears on the axles actually catch the weld and then "spool" the diff. This is to cut down on the tire chirping on the road and still "lock" off road.The way it works out 4 teeth catch weld filled "stops" at the same time. I'm going weelin' tomorrow on sandy trails and mud. Hardly any rocks at all. Just soft earth weelin' on this setup. Like I said, this is temp and I do plan on doing it right as soon as I can afford it.

Okay, the details for clarity.
88 Cherokee 4dr 4l, auto, 231 xfer, d35 w/ 3.55 and 31" MT's w/ 3" lift. So far I've got $600 in this Jeep including buying it. Dang it's fun to wheel.

Is this going to work? Has anyone tried it? Or am I looking at more destruction than just welding the gears together?

The most recent copy of 4wheel and off road shows a guy doing almost the same thing in his zuki. I welded 2 opposing gears that way.

Do it....... I've seen dirt trackers do it that way........

BrettM said:
that way you shock load everything, good thinkin ! :rolleyes:

right! while you are at it start carrying spare spiders with you.. i smell mall carnage in the future..

go full-lincoln or don't do anything at all.... rather scrub a lil rubber off your tires or get practice fishing small chunks of steel out of your diff??

You know, somtimes common sence excapes me. I didn't think about the slop in there giving it time to build up for a hard hit on the teeth and weld. Bad part is I've already sealed up the diff and filled with lube. Better to tear it apart and do it right today as opposed to trying to figue out how to get home from the trail.

Why don't I ask these questions before I do the work????

Thanks.

Back