• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high steer

which high steer is best???

• teraflex Nuckle

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • rust nuckle over

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • or other

Votes: 24 54.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cherokee Wheeler10

NAXJA Forum User
i am going to bee looking into a high steer kit for my xj i have the rubicon 5.5 and was looking at either the rusty nuckle over or the tera flex which is better in your opion why???? i would like to beable to install my self and picking up a welder after the new year.... i have a d30 i have the rubicon express trac bar (the more expencive of the two ) and its mountain bracket would i have to change that i also have there pitman arm would all that have to be changed with the kits????? i want to go higher ANother 2 inches after these tires are gone thats why i think i should just go high steer???? what do you guys think Hopefully in the next month or 2 i will be able to do it???

For $1050.00 go get you self a D44 As for the Rustys Over-the-Knuckle Steering Conversion He is a bone head i wouldn't give Rusty $490.00 for any thing and Tera again why spend the money on a D30

My set up is EB44 with a Chevy right outer knuckle the top was machined flat, drilled and tapped holes for a custom steering arm. and a Grand Wagoneer knuckle for the left side.

If you really like your D30 look into the WJ steering http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/brakes/xj_wjbrakes03/

Hope this helps

Last edited:
cherokee Wheeler10 said:
i am going to bee looking into a high steer kit for my xj i have the rubicon 5.5 and was looking at either the rusty nuckle over or the tera flex which is better in your opion why???? i would like to beable to install my self and picking up a welder after the new year.... i have a d30 i have the rubicon express trac bar (the more expencive of the two ) and its mountain bracket would i have to change that i also have there pitman arm would all that have to be changed with the kits????? i want to go higher ANother 2 inches after these tires are gone thats why i think i should just go high steer???? what do you guys think Hopefully in the next month or 2 i will be able to do it???

If thats all the lift you have don't waste your money with any thing else but the WJ conversion go to your junkyard and pick up the steering components off a WJ W/ a V-8. it will be much stronger you are wasting your time on the high steer. you only have a 5.5 lift. remember if you raise your steering you will have to raise the lower mounting point for your trackbar.

It seems like I heard or read somewhere that to use the WJ knuckles you've got to go to 16" wheels...is this information right or wrong?

Robert

XJWheelie said:
It seems like I heard or read somewhere that to use the WJ knuckles you've got to go to 16" wheels...is this information right or wrong?

Robert

Use you XJ d30 knuckles leave the others alone unless you are upgrading your brakes then I think you need the 16 inch rim not sure

I have been bouncing back and forth between the WJ and Terflex Knuckle kit. Ultimately I will probably purchase the Teraflex kit from a vendor for $365 as I believe the WJ may be a little too much of a fab pain in the rear.

MGrobe said:
I have been bouncing back and forth between the WJ and Terflex Knuckle kit. Ultimately I will probably purchase the Teraflex kit from a vendor for $365 as I believe the WJ may be a little too much of a fab pain in the rear.

If you like to waste money call us I sell you the tera arms. You simply dont need them. they require more work than the WJ up grade. just get the steering Y and that will help alot. if you want to do the knuckles from the WJ for bigger brakes it is still all just bolt on parts and a little grinding to get 15 rims to fit.

Those tera knuckles are going to require you to raise the track bar bracket that requires welding and alot of fabbing.

I think you got it backwards I dont like to see people waste money

I beg to differ right back! ;) When I look at the writeup on www.jeepwire.com and see the custom milling that needed to be done to get the hubs and everything to work right, it makes me a little apprehensive.

The changing the trackbar mount will probably have to be done regardless of the kit being used to match the angle of the draglink. Fortunately I have a father that is a solid welder and that will be probably a little easier to make than the other things in the article.

Ultimately, money isn't the ultimate issue for me, otherwise I wouldn't own a Jeep. I just want to spend it on what I feel will give me the result I desire.

Either one will better address my steering needs and it would be nice to have the bigger brakes, but I don't necessarily want to buy 8 new rims plus a heck of a lot of brake gear, etc. Seems like a clusterf*ck waiting to happen.

But we'll see one way or the other in the next month or two as that will be my pull the trigger time or wait until late fall.

I looked on that link and there is nothing for the wj swap.

I would just do the stering Y swap and call it done no fab work what so ever. I have never heard of machine work involved. PLease post a better link to the article you read. I would like to see it

This should get you there. http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/brakes/xj_wjbrakes03/knuckles/index.htm

I'm not professing to be an expert in this subject, so please take this with a grain of salt.

But you'll see where they pop apart the hub etc... I don't know if it is because he has an older front axle or if it is because they are TJ hubs or what. I had been meaning to e-mail the author to find out why it was necessary. Besides this article I have yet to run into another that is using WJ knucks and WJ brakes.

If you know of any other articles or any answers I am all ears. I certainly am not committed to one option or the other.

thanks man briefly checked that out looks more involed than I was told.I had a guy who had a tj come in w/ one done and he said all he did was swap parts. wondering now if he used ZJ stuff and was not sure of the difference. I never pulled the wheel off to look at it. The truck was in for a cage. Now I am curious what this guy did.

this sounds like a good conversion but i am unsure about the track bar sitwation (cant spell) and also can i just do the steering and not the brakes would that be good. roughfly how much does the full tranfer cost???

Last edited:
I f you do the WJ steering converion You can get from Currie Not sure on a price
as far as all those knuckles I am not sure anymore I would have to do some more research my self.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back