• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front sway bar bushings

85Chief

NAXJA Forum User
I am in need of some new bushings and wondered if there were "preformance" sets, or something like that. I have an 85 Cherokee with a 3inch lift. I looked at Quadratec, but they have different sizes.
24mm:
http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sg...QA=1&UREQB=2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4&FNM=00&x=44&y=26
25mm:
http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sg...QA=1&UREQB=2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4&FNM=00&x=35&y=49
28mm:
http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sg...QA=1&UREQB=2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4&FNM=00&x=55&y=26

What size do I need, or is there a better brand I can get for around $20-$40

Thanks
85Chief

The stock bushings are around 60 durometer (Shore A) and the urethane bushings are usually 70+ durometer (this is a measure of hardness if you're not familiar). This means that the bushings (as the add says) won't "mush out" as much. Which means that the sway bar is allowed to react better than if you had rubber bushings. The downside is a little more road noise...but considering you have an older vehicle that shouldn't make any noticable difference.
As for size you have two options... first measure your bar and go for the size 1mm smaller (i.e if your bar is 29mm go for the 28mm bushing) this will allow a little pre-compression and allow for any bar wear under the stock bushings. The other option is go for the net fit approach...28mm bar...28mm bushing.
Typically urethane bushings are urethane bushing and you won't find huge performance differnces between them. Brackets and finish are two areas I'd keep an eye on.
Good luck.

Dylan90xj said:
The stock bushings are around 60 durometer (Shore A) and the urethane bushings are usually 70+ durometer (this is a measure of hardness if you're not familiar). This means that the bushings (as the add says) won't "mush out" as much. Which means that the sway bar is allowed to react better than if you had rubber bushings. The downside is a little more road noise...but considering you have an older vehicle that shouldn't make any noticable difference.
As for size you have two options... first measure your bar and go for the size 1mm smaller (i.e if your bar is 29mm go for the 28mm bushing) this will allow a little pre-compression and allow for any bar wear under the stock bushings. The other option is go for the net fit approach...28mm bar...28mm bushing.
Typically urethane bushings are urethane bushing and you won't find huge performance differnces between them. Brackets and finish are two areas I'd keep an eye on.
Good luck.

So I just measure the sway bar's circumference to get the correct mm? Will the stock links work with this, or do I need to get different ones?

Also, is this correct?....
front%20susp.JPG

Sway bar Diameter!

Can someone tell me if this drawing is correct, because I plan on ordering it today...

Also, I got the sway bar diameter to come ot to 24.255, so should I choose the 24 or 25 mm bushings? My guess would be 24...

Thanks
85Chief

Last edited:
85Chief said:
Can someone tell me if this drawing is correct, because I plan on ordering it today...

Also, I got the sway bar diameter to come ot to 24.255, so should I choose the 24 or 25 mm bushings? My guess would be 24...

Thanks
85Chief

The drawing is correct. Go with the 24mm.

don't know if your already ordered or not but order the exact size of your sway bar i ordered one size smaller and it is impossible to move my swaybar by hand, there are no ill effects otherwise and it actually works out cause i just tie the links to the bar when disconected but i wish i could move it up out of the way a little more.

Back