• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Window swapping...

Ted Z

NAXJA Forum User
The rig i'm buyin has clear windows all the way around.....

My totalled one has tinted....

Both 4 door, I would like to put my tinted glass in the new rig...

How tough to change out?

Ted,

I have only worked on the door glass not the hatch or fixed glass.

To change the door glass you will have to remove the interior trim, and cut the water dam.

On the front doors you remove the triangle window assembly then you can lift the door glass out. The triangle window acts as the forward track so pulling out the window requires the removal of the nut which attaches it to the regulator.

On the back door you have to remove the divider between the fixed and movable glass. On my 88 XJ there was a rivit installed from the outside. I had to pry up the trim to drill out the pop rivet head. You remove the lower support for the fixed window then tilt the fixed glass and divider forward and remove. The movable glass is attched the same way to it's regulator.

I highly recommend you change out the window seals while your are this deep into it. If you want PN info let me know. On the front door the seal is "L" shaped and goes along the top and rear channel. the back doors has one seal for front of movable glass, top and rear channel of fixed window. On the rear door buy the divider bar at the dealer to get new gaskets for the front of the fixed and rear of the movable channel.

As you do each door you will develop more confidence, you can do the doors in a weekend if you take your time. Also if you are swapping stuff if you like the door panels of your old XJ over the new one you can install those also. I more tips but too much to type now.

Martin

Hatch and fixed are easy...

Just like an old car, you push teh window out, the rubber gasket just pops around a lip. If you're carful (and the rubber hasn't hardened too much) you should be able to re-use the gasket.

I'd look around first for new gaskets anyway. If you find new gaskets just cut the gasket on teh inside of teh window (Where it bulges over the lip in the body) as close to the glass as you can with a utility knife. After you've got it cut just push the window straight out (being careful to keep it straight). Helps to have a buddy "catch" the window on the other side!

If you don't go with new gaskets do this: Spary the hell out of the inside of the gasket with lube. Then gently but firmly (oxymoron?) push the window straight out, taking care ot keep it even. (I always did this in my Mustang and old truck by sitting back and pushing evenly with my feet). Again you'll want somebody there to catch it.

Installation.
Put rubber gasket on glass.
Take a cord (I've found that 12 guage solid wire works great because it conforms to the window) and wrap it in the channel of the gasket (the one that goes over the lip of the body.).

Have a friend hold the window in place, pushing in rather hard. Slowely pull the cord out from the inside. It should "Flip" the gasket over the lilp in the body. Go around the whole window doing this until it's seated right.
After that have a beer.

Sequoia

Yup, power and non-power windows are the exact same.

Ok, search a ton and this thread is closes to my problem. My rear hatch window seal was leaking. I bought a new seal. The old seal (87) has the chrome in the middle of the seal. I pulled this out damaging it. Is it necessary, or just for looks. I thought new (95,96) used just a rubber seal with no chrome part. Any help?

So, is it completely rubber, or do you have a black metal strip on it? The new seal has the groves in it for the strips, just don't know if there for looks or if they serve a purpose. More help/?

It does serve a purpose, it keeps tension on the rubber gasket threrfore helping to hold the glass. I have run around with out one a few times and nothing happened but I'm sure it could help to strengthen alot in the event of a roll. But the difference between going with or without is most likely minimal.
The older cars and trucks had much larger pieces of material fitted into thier rubber gaskets to lock it all together, but they used to make the glass thicker and the surface area of the glass was larger. I have seen XJ's both with and without. Oh'ya I didnt mention that I am not an expert, but I did stay at a holiday inn last night, really.

Back