• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front D44, hi pinion VS low

cLAYH

NAXJA Forum User
So what's everyone opinions on this. Obviously the hi pinion would give a better drivline angle but it is really worth the extra $$$ and work? Is the pinion angle really that bad with the low pinion?

I'm planning a D44 buildup, Waggy D44s can be had in my area for less than $100. Ford hi pinions are prettty rare and in the range of $350-$500. I plan to run 6"-7" lift and I don't want to run full width.

I have a Waggy D44 and am very pleased, sure a HP is better, but money IS an issue for me. with a LP, rotating the knuckles is a MUST, with them rotated you get pretty good driveshaft clearance. I hit just about everything this summer on the Rubicon and Fordyce, but NEVER my front driveshaft. Since mine doesn't ever see 4wd over 20 mph, I even rotated my pinion a few degrees higher than pointed at the t-case, 16* total rotation I think.

As for strength, some will point out that a HP 30 is as strong as a LP 44 in the ring and pinion. First of all I don't even know where that comes from, but sure, they're probably close enough going forward. But once you put your tranny in reverse, the LP D44 is WAY stronger than the HP D30.

I'm sorry I'm not much help with hi or low pinion, but having just spent $350 on a D44 for my rear end, then another $200 in making it all go together (it was out of a scoutII) I would have been thrilled to get an axle for less than a 100. Think about what else you could buy with the left over cash....

pokeyrugby said:
I'm sorry I'm not much help with hi or low pinion, but having just spent $350 on a D44 for my rear end, then another $200 in making it all go together (it was out of a scoutII) I would have been thrilled to get an axle for less than a 100. Think about what else you could buy with the left over cash....

Setting up a d44 rearend is cake compared to setting up a front axle........... :wierd:

Just do some more looking for the HP axle.

I paid $100CDN (i.e. ~$80US) for my front tube (empty). I'm going to fill it with Scout guts for the width I want so it was a super cheap upgrade.

HTH

r@m

Back