• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone run a lock rite on their D30 only?

99greenjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I'd love a locker in my rear 8.25 but a No Slip is a bit pricey for me right now. Anyone just run a lock rite or similar in the front with an open rear? Any offroad performance difference? This isn't my daily driver, but it does see more pavement than mud unfortunately so on road handling does matter.
thanks in advance,
Dave

I have a lockright in my front 30 and a tru trac in the rear. I like it so far can't tell it in there on the street(haven't had it in 4WD on the street yet) and it does great off-road

i've had people tell me they prefered the front-only as opposed to the rear-only locker.. i guess its easier to climb up obstacles than push up.. and easier to drag the rear along behind.. makes sense but i've never seen it in action.. might take that aproach next time just to see if the theory proves real..

I have a lockrite in the front and rear, yeah they are noisy but when used offroad it's pricless. No problem here on road just noisy.

My brother and I both run front lock rites in dana 30s with open rear, makes a big difference offroad especially in rocks and getting up ledges. On the street I only hear a little clicking on curves,sometimes in parking lots it's more noticable when turning sharp but no change in the driving ,would never consider removing it.

I have an Aussie locker up front in my 30 and trac loc in the rear. Locked in the front will amaze you. Fairly easy install except for the corrosion part of it.
Check out the video of the aussie at work. This is an extremely steep incline on the video and pure ice all the way up the trail. I have a link on my home page with an Aussie install. The only difference with yours is you would not have the Dis-connect axle to worry about.
Trail Video

I have one in my 8.8 rear and hate it. Its noisy as hell on road. Offroad its ok. Scared I'm gonna bust the carrier. I think I'm gonna replace it with either a full detroit or a full spool. As for a front application. I'm going for a selectable. ( ARB or Electric)

I have a lockright in my rear axle and I noticed that made a WORLD of difference off-road. I have an ARB up front and I don't notice as much a difference when I lock that up.

Most of the time when you need a locker you are going uphill, in which case much of your weight transfers to the rear axle, so put a locker where the weight (and traction) is.

That said, 1 locker is better than none.

Boise.....sweet video!

So I think I'll go with the lock rite up front for now. I always see "STARTING AT $189" in most ads for the D30 lockrite but what does everyone here pay? Any suggestions?
thanks,
Dave

I had a front locker in mine for a month or so and it did help me with some things but not as much as just a rear locker would have. I now run both but just got it installed so I can't tell you how great that is yet. I have run just a rear locker in my old cherokee and it was far better performance on climbing than just a front locker. It made me look like I had two. If you got the dough get two----btw I did and got both for 300 and one was brand new!!! If you only have money for one try to do the rear unless the front is possibly cheaper. It will help incredibly more. ------Kyle

YETI said:
I have one in my 8.8 rear and hate it. Its noisy as hell on road. Offroad its ok. Scared I'm gonna bust the carrier. I think I'm gonna replace it with either a full detroit or a full spool. As for a front application. I'm going for a selectable. ( ARB or Electric)

I have a lock right in my 8.8 too and while it is noisy when turning, I love it off road. What makes you think the lock right is going to break the carrier. I've never heard of carriers breaking on the 8.8. I came very close to putting a lock right in the front too, but for those few times I have to drive to work in the snow the full time 4wd will be scary as hell and completely useless with a non-selectable locker in the front and I'm not sure how far I'd make it in 2wd through the rare thick NC snow.

i did for several months and it made a world of difference. you'll love it. i just put a no-slip in the rear about an hour ago. unfortunately it will be a while before i get to try it out. super easy install though, even easier than the front.

The LockRight is an amazingly simple, stout locker.
I highly recommend the hardened crosspin option, though.
I have seen several OEM pins give way and take the carrier with them.
I use them in my 44 and my 30 with 4.88s and have no worries.
HP30 spares, but thats a given.
HTH.

I have a lockrite in my front dana 30 and a ARB in the rear. Most of the time I dont lock the rear becasue I dont have a compressor or oba :dunce: but thats becides the point. I find it easeir to get into places where I need the rear locked and not just the front. The front locker will pull you up and over obsticals that with a rear locker you would have to push to get over and even then may not be able to get across with out the front tires pulling you up. If I had to do it again, I would lock the front first. I like the front pulling me up and the rear following. As for driveability, on the street in 2wd, you wont even know its there execpt for the occasional click click click as you make a sharp turn. I havent had it in snow but in super wet rainy weather the front locker makes for some intresting torque steer. Under accerlation it will pull one direction and engine braking (manual tranny) it pulls the other direction. If you are prepared for it, its not "That" scary but I never run it in 4hi on the street anymore.

Big DaveXJ said:
I have a lock right in my 8.8 too and while it is noisy when turning, I love it off road. What makes you think the lock right is going to break the carrier. I've never heard of carriers breaking on the 8.8. I came very close to putting a lock right in the front too, but for those few times I have to drive to work in the snow the full time 4wd will be scary as hell and completely useless with a non-selectable locker in the front and I'm not sure how far I'd make it in 2wd through the rare thick NC snow.

Dave:looser:
If its snows in Charlote, you WONT have work. Everything here shuts down as soon as the flurries start. Your just scared to drive in the white stuff to go play:D

AARON

99greenjeeper said:
Boise.....sweet video!

So I think I'll go with the lock rite up front for now. I always see "STARTING AT $189" in most ads for the D30 lockrite but what does everyone here pay? Any suggestions?
thanks,
Dave

They thing with running just a front locker is your putting more strain on that D30. I run dual ARBs.... I don't lock the front unless I really need to. Let the rear do the work... well unless you have a D35 hahahahahahahahahahahahhaa

99greenjeeper said:
This isn't my daily driver, but it does see more pavement than mud unfortunately so on road handling does matter.
thanks in advance,
Dave

I have been debating front or rear for awhile. The biggest factor for me is my xj is my DD (my yj was before) and we get lots of snow in NY, and when I lived in CO. From what I have seen and heard you dont want a locked front end on snowy streets. It just wants to plow through corners and dart left to right on straights.
I was concerned with handleing with the yj's short wheelbase, but I think an xj will handle ok with a rear locker in snow.
Selectable would be the way to go, and everyone is quick to point that out, but those folks arent buying me an ARB.

Big DaveXJ said:

I know that the chances of busting a 8.8 carrier are slim but for my own piece of mind would like to upgrade to a full Detroit.

99greenjeeper said:
Boise.....sweet video!

thanks,
Dave

$189 is for the Samurai axle 'cause it uses the original side gears.

Back