• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tax Proposal....

Art Triggs

NAXJA Forum User
Let this guy know what you think of this "brilliant"idea, I did.....:flamemad:

From the Appleton Post-Crescent.....
Posted Dec. 12, 2004

Alger proposal

The investment firm of Fred Alger Management has proposed that the Bush administration tax owners of cars and SUVs rated at less than 30 mpg $1,000 in 2008, with the tax rising $500 each year the vehicles remain on the road.

For perspective, a vehicle that gets 30 mpg and is driven 15,000 miles per year consumes $1,000 worth of gas annually, assuming gas is priced at $2 per gallon.

If the car gets 15 mpg, the annual cost for gas, at $2 per gallon, would be $2,000

At 20 mpg, it would cost $1,500 per year

At 40 mpg, it would cost $750 per year

At 50 mpg, it would cost the owner $600 per year.

Local SUV owners cool to call for guzzler tax

Proposal would make vehicle owners pay $1,000 fee

By Ed Lowe
Post-Crescent staff writer

APPLETON — Some local motorists say a national firm’s pitch to tax owners of gas guzzlers at least $1,000 per year would take them for a ride.

“You’re talking civil war,” assessed retiree Tom Hollenback, owner of a 1986 three-ton-capacity pickup.

“Look at the number of people who are driving these older cars,” said Hollenback, 75, of Appleton. “When the lottery comes through, we’ll all buy new cars.”

Drivers of smaller, fuel-efficient cars interviewed in downtown Appleton tended to be more receptive to the plan by principals of the investment firm Fred Alger Management that seeks to cut U.S. oil imports in half within 10 years.

In a letter to the White House distributed to media Nov. 29, Alger firm leaders proposed the $1,000 tax on owners of cars and sport-utility vehicles rated at less than 30 miles per gallon starting in 2008. The proposal also seeks to increase the annual tax by $500 each year the fuel-thirsty cars and SUVs remain on the road.

The Alger firm, a New York-based manager of investment portfolios for governments, religious institutions corporate pensions and insurers, has about $10 billion under management, according to Hoover’s Online financial information service. The company, established in 1964, manages eight growth-focused mutual funds and provides other investment services.

It maintains the tax plan would slash U.S. oil imports, stimulate technological development in and market demand for the U.S. auto industry and pump about $200 billion in new tax revenue into the U.S. economy each year.

“It’s a good idea,” said 22-year-old Tong Vang of Appleton, a driver of a Honda Civic who conceded the tax likely would dash his plan to buy a SUV a few years down the road.

Margaret Kubek of Appleton, a Subaru driver, deemed the tax strategy flawed, but said bold action is needed to sever America’s thirst for fossil fuels shipped from other countries.

“I’d rather do that than nothing,” Kubek said. “But couldn’t the government tax the manufacturers of the vehicles that are guzzling the gas instead of the consumers?”

Principals of the Alger firm, unavailable for comment through calls placed to the firm’s publicist, have not implied that their suggestions to the White House generated anything akin to a favorable response.

Not even Outagamie County Supv. Fred Techlin, so far unsuccessful in his bid to prioritize energy conservation and U.S. independence from foreign oil in relevant county decisions, would endorse Alger’s proposal.

“I’m skeptical of any use of the tax code to manipulate people’s buying habits and behaviors,” said Techlin. “It’s good that people are discussing these ideas, but I don’t like edicts coming down from on high.”

Techlin’s proposal, sent back for committee review last month after other supervisors criticized its tone and lack of specific directives, would have mandated periodic reviews of fuel-conservation efforts by each department of county government. Techlin said he doesn’t yet know if he will submit the proposal in an amended form.

Donna Harwood of Appleton, a 19-year-old SUV owner, panned the plan. “Ridiculous,” she called it. “I don’t have that kind of money.”

Fred Alger, chairman of the management firm that bears his name, made clear in a commentary published Nov. 16 that his call for energy policy reform is driven by the bottom line, not feel-good ideals.

“As investors, we believe that a policy of energy independence could have substantial benefits to the economy, to the markets, and to business growth across industries,” Alger wrote. “Makers of hybrid cars and more fuel-efficient vehicles are enjoying record profits.”

Greg Woodard, 18, a Lawrence University music student from Boston who owns a Toyota compact, said he felt the plan could work, provided the public is educated on the need for the tax and its goals.

“I don’t think there’s a ghost of a chance (for the plan to move ahead) under this administration, but it eventually will have to come about in some form,” Woodard said.

Kiley Offenstein, 20, a University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh student commuting to work in her Plymouth Acclaim, said she believes the tax is justified by foreign policy concerns, but worried it could unfairly burden people unable to afford newer cars.

Business owner Emilie Sabol suggested the intent of the tax, as well as the tax itself, could cause her to consider swapping her Mercedes for a more fuel-efficient ride.

“If I had to, I would,” Sabol said. “I think our cars should get better gas mileage.”

Jason Lathrop, 21, of Appleton, driver of both a large Volvo station wagon and a small VW, said the tax plan sounds “far-fetched” politically, but constructive in its goals.

“A lot of people own SUVs for no reason,” he said. “This would provide a lot of money-making incentive for the car companies to produce the more efficient vehicles.”

Ed Lowe can be reached by e-mail at [email protected]

It'll never happen. How many people would actually vote that? Definitely not a majority. I know we don't vote directly but even the Congressmen I think would be against it because they don't want to pay anything extra...

BlackSport96 said:
It'll never happen. How many people would actually vote that? Definitely not a majority. I know we don't vote directly but even the Congressmen I think would be against it because they don't want to pay anything extra...

I can think of ONE SENATOR that wanted to raise the gas tax buy .50 / gal.

GUESS WHO?

NCSUcherokee said:
What is the current gas guzzler tax restrictions and aplications?

I believe it's a bracket system, with cars from 21.5-22.5 MPG paying one fee, 20.5-21.5 MPG paying a higher one...and so on, with cars getting less than 12.5 (don't remember which) paying the highest. Vehicles over 22.5 MPG are "guzzler gas" tax exempt.

This is where I saw the information:

http://www.bullittarchive.com/Misc/Cafe/

Quite frankly I think the worst part of this plan is the outrageous costs of it - if the "tax" were more reasonable, it would be less of a problem. Ideally, I'd rather see the tax based on the weight or GVWR of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Art Triggs said:
Let this guy know what you think of this "brilliant"idea, I did.....:flamemad:

From the Appleton Post-Crescent.....
Posted Dec. 12, 2004

Alger proposal

The investment firm of Fred Alger Management has proposed that the Bush administration tax owners of cars and SUVs rated at less than 30 mpg $1,000 in 2008, with the tax rising $500 each year the vehicles remain on the road.

“A lot of people own SUVs for no reason,” he said. “This would provide a lot of money-making incentive for the car companies to produce the more efficient vehicles.”

Ed Lowe can be reached by e-mail at [email protected]

"SUVs rated at less than 30 mpg $1,000 in 2008, with the tax rising $500 each year the vehicles remain on the road"

Anyone want to guess what the tax on a 1988 (20-year old) XJ would be under this plan?

Maybe $1,000 plus $500 * 20, or $11,000 per year!

Who thinks this is reasonable?

“This would provide a lot of money-making incentive" ... leaving the question "money-making" for who?

What would be the motive for a targeted tax on a class of vehicle, rather than a broad performance based tax (i.e. a guzzler tax on any vehicle, not one isolated to SUV's)? Why is the tax being proposed, punitive reasons or because someone needs the revenue?

Is anyone buying into the need for a new tax (what were the letters to the Editor like)?

Well, here's what I finall had to say...

-----

RE: Fred Alger Fuel Taxation Proposal

Mr. Ed Lowe
I/C/O Post-Crescent

Mr Lowe;
This took a little time to write, but it regards a disagreeably complex issue and some deep thought was required to formulate this missive. Not all things can suffer a simple "I don't like it!" and away.

I note your commentary in the Appleton Post-Crescent of 12DEC2004, regarding the tax proposal by Fred Alger Management with a $1,000 per annum tax on vehicles "rated at less than 20mpg."

My first issue is, simply, what is the cutoff for vehicles by model year? I refer to the various tailpipe emissions control programmes where there is a "sliding scale" for allowable emissions levels based upon model years. As vehicles move backward through years, more emissions are "allowed" simply because the more effective technologies were not available for use as controls. Naturally, as vehicles get newer, the computer controls and physical devices work to smaller tolerance and tighter control, and therefore are able to more effecively restrict tailpipe emissions.

Second, the idea of increasing this tax at the rate of $500 per additional year such vehicles remain upon the road is simply a punitive measure. It should be borne in mind that many drive older vehicles not out of choice, but financial necessity. While an older vehicle may not be as economical as newer cars regarding fuel cost, the lower insurance rates (due to the lower "value" of the vehicle and the fact that it is more than likely owned "free and clear,") offset the cost of fuel. Given the direction the economy has taken for many individuals and the rise in numbers among the "working poor," it is often not practical to purchase a new vehicle and assume the increased cost of ownership (new car payments, increased insurance premiums, and increased vehicle registration fees.)

And, there are some who purchase larger vehicles out of necessity - large families being among the most pressing needs. I don't see why a family of three or four would need to purchase something like a Navigator, Expedition, or Suburban, but I've known a couple large families who do have use of such a large vehicle.

Also, there are those among us who don't purchase the "most economical" vehicle for reasons of utility - I, for instance, use my Jeep Cherokee as a working truck. It is often loaded with tools and/or materials for a job, and has the capability to either haul or tow whatever I need it to and to handle these loads with grace and efficiency. While I may be hard-pressed to get more than 20mpg while driving it, this figure stands pretty much any way I load the vehicle.

On observation, this seems to be little more than an unnecessary tax placed upon the people who are least able to afford it. I also find it unlikely that whoever is selected to administer such a tax is likely to consider needs for such vehicles when it is assessed.

What do I offer as an alternative? There are many people in America who are quite knowledgable about their vehicles, and would like to get a free hand in making them more fuel-efficient and more powerful (the two tend to go together.) However, there are various jurisdictions - like California - where any modifications must be approved by the state in what usually proves to be an onerous process for the manufacturer, and then only for very specific applications. Any unauthorised modifications typically result in a failure to register the vehicle for road use, which means that a much cleaner vehicle will be taken off the road in favour of one which simply "follows the rules."

Perhaps it is the rules themselves which need to be changed to allow for greater flexibility in vehicle modifications, and allow people who are able to make them better. Let us propose this:

Since the two key issues facing automotive applications to-day are tailpipe emissions and fuel economy, let us take a two-pronged approach to improving them. Retain the "sliding scale" for allowable emissions, but significant reductions for each model year (say, being under the limits for a newer vehicle) will be cause for a reduction in vehicle registration for that year. Also, being able to cause an increase in fuel mileage (read: economy) which is both measureable and significant will also be cause for a reduction in vehicle registration fees, with both causes for reduction being accumulative. This will create an incentive for useful improvements to the engines already on the road, and the restriction of regulations that is necessary will create an incentive for modifications to improve engines already in service. After all, is it not the engines already in service that are causing all the consternation?

I have nothing at all against increasing the national average fuel economy, but it is not always practicable to do so by forcing people to purchase new vehicles. I would also view this tax measure as a punitive measure against collectors of "classic" vehicles, since the idea of attaining 20mpg or better is a new concept. While collector vehicles will gain perhaps 10-50 miles per year on the roadways, I am sure there will be no tax break for them as well. Particularly unfair - since many shows require a current registration for competition!

Perhaps the efforts of funding the government should now be directed toward those more able to afford the costs of operation, rather than those who are stuck doing what they must because they can afford no better.

Jon D Kelley
San Jose, CA

Well, Jon, that's one hell of a letter. You are quite a writer, I liked your dissertation on the morality of front license plates particularly...

But.

You guys are all taking this thing WAY too seriously.

These dorky, attention-starved policy wonks sit around all day dreaming up anything to make a splash. The more outrageous, the better. Maybe he sends a copy to George W, all it takes is a stamp.

He sends another copy to the local paper, with a note "Look at what's been proposed."

The writer does the story because he knows it's bizarre enough that people will read it. The paper prints it for the same reason.

The paper sells papers, the writer and the wonk get their names seen. Sensationalism works.

NOTHING like this proposal would EVER see the light of day. It wouldn't have a ghost of a chance even if Al earth-in-the-balance Gore were prez.

Fred n Ed know that as well as I do...

Robert

jpfreak said:
I believe it's a bracket system, with cars from 21.5-22.5 MPG paying one fee, 20.5-21.5 MPG paying a higher one...and so on, with cars getting less than 12.5 (don't remember which) paying the highest. Vehicles over 22.5 MPG are "guzzler gas" tax exempt.

This is where I saw the information:

http://www.bullittarchive.com/Misc/Cafe/

Quite frankly I think the worst part of this plan is the outrageous costs of it - if the "tax" were more reasonable, it would be less of a problem. Ideally, I'd rather see the tax based on the weight or GVWR of the vehicle.

When my dad got his GTO, the car actually turned out to be $400 cheaper with the $600 6 speed manual option because of the gas guzzler tax, which puts atleast one bracket around $1000 tax

Back