• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Converter or Overdrive

xjrrrdx

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have a 96 XJ classic and when I am on a freeway my revs drop which i think is Overdrive, but it doesnt seem really smart, the smallest little incline i really have to press the gas and the RPMs shoot up, now in cruise control it is just unbearable so I was wondering if it is a torque converter (like the other thread) or just an early "bad/not smart" version of overdrive.

What size tires??? what's the gear ratio??

xjrrrdx said:
I have 31s and stock gear ratio
Sounds about normal then. The torque converter will lock up until you hit that incline and need to give it a little more gas. That's the first step toward downshifting...and changing the speedometer gear as SeanR suggested won't do anything for the computer, but it will make your speedometer read a little more correctly. Sorry Sean...had to call it.

With stock gearing (3.55) and 31s, you'd probably be more comfortable on the highway with 4.10s but the expense of regearing for that small of a change is too high.

Back