• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

squeaking cv on SYE driveshaft

JEEPZZ

NAXJA Forum User
The double cardan joint on my rear driveline (has a SYE) is only 2 1/2 years old but it just started squeaking really bad a few days ago. There is a high pitched squeak on accel and and more of a squeak/rattle on compression decel.
I just noticed that there is a grease cup buried within the joint. I know that it has never been greased. The CV has 1 standard grease fitting on the rear u-joint, 1 cup fitting on the front u-joint and 1 cup fitting for the center ball section. The only way to get a grease needle into the cup fittings is to remove the driveline to get the angle right so the needle will fit through the opening.

My question is: I planned on removing the shaft and greasing the 3 CV fittings tomorrow but what I need to know is that when the CV starts to make this type of noise, should it just be rebuilt instead or will a squeaking CV be ok with a little grease?

Definately get some grease in there, but before you do, pull it apart, & take a look for scoring on the bearing. If it's not to bad, I think you'll be fine by just keeping some good grease in there.

Rob

try the grease.. wouldnt hurt rite?

if it continues to make noise.... its shot...

Oh ya... grease them every couple months...

FELIX said:
Definately get some grease in there, but before you do, pull it apart, & take a look for scoring on the bearing. If it's not to bad, I think you'll be fine by just keeping some good grease in there.

Rob
I've never disassembled a double cardan before, I heard that some sort of special tools were required to pull the center out???

witt said:
try the grease.. wouldnt hurt rite?
if it continues to make noise.... its shot...
Oh ya... grease them every couple months...
I'm sure the grease will quiet the squeaking, I just don't want to put a "band-aid" on a potential problem I may regret later out on the trail. I've been "that guy" one too many times.

Last edited:
JEEPZZ said:
I've never disassembled a double cardan before, I heard that some sort of special tools were required to pull the center out???

It's kind of a pain, but I don't remember having to use any other tools that what I would use for a normal U-joint. Sorry I can't recall any other details, it's been a while. :)

JEEPZZ said:
I'm sure the grease will quiet the squeaking, I just don't want to put a "band-aid" on a potential problem I may regret later out on the trail. I've been "that guy" one too many times.

Grease isn't a band-aid it is maintenance!

It is squeaking because of lack of grease. The only bummer for you is most of the time when you hear it squeaking it is already damaged.

Try the grease and if it goes away you most likely caught it in time. Just keep the greasing up at your normal oil change intervals. If you drive it on really long trips you might want to do it prior to leaving and when you come back (1000+ mile trips).

BTW most Double cvs have needle type grease fittings and to get them lined up right some need to have the drive shaft off the rig.

hinkley

The double-cardan joint doesn't require anything special to disassemble it, other than the ball joint press or hammer-and-socket that you use to remove the u-joints themselves. Be very careful when disassembling though, that you don't allow the sections to fall and scatter roller bearings all over your floor. I know from personal experience that bearing houses and driveline shops around here can't/won't replace the bearing itself, and the flange w/bearing costs about $80 by itself... I'm in the middle of a move right now so can't get to the Spicer part number for that piece, and I don't think I've put a "How to rebuild a CV driveshaft" on my site yet.

Like Hink said, grease it and grease it some more again later. The post that the bearings spin on is probably csored by now, which means it's shot and has to be replaced. If you can clean it up with a bit of emory cloth you're in luck, but any deformation or scoring is going to cost you some bucks to replace. I'm most likely looking at the same thing right now on my front driveshaft; the rubber boot around the assembly tore some time ago and the joint apears to be hosed. I'll know more once I get the move finished and my garage is in place.

Good luck with it...

i feel your pain!

i've got some bad news for you brotha...

i just read your post and thought to myself "when did i write this?!"

last week (or maybe for two) i had the exact same noises in my rear CV shaft on my '01, so i took it back yesteday to the shop that made it, and sure enough the centering pin was worn just slightly but enough that it had to be rebuilt entirely. D'OH!
$230. :wierd:

wouldn't you know i just bought a grease gun about 2 weeks ago; at least now i know to lube that thing every time i change the oil.

fwiw, the shop upgraded me to the newer style 785 joints, based on the 760, which are sealed and don't need greasing. he said unless i do a lot of mud/water stuff (i don't) that i should get about 100K miles out of them.

sorry, but i'd say odds are good that you'll be writing a check.

good luck.

I got it out and greased up. Everything 'appeared' to be ok as the ball didn't look badly scarred. There is no binding or play in the joint so I guess time will tell.
Thanks for the help everyone.
btw, I wasn't aware there was a newer style axle joint, 785. Any pics comparing the two?

Back