• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" Lift Plans - Christmas $$$

XJStorm

NAXJA Member #1062
Got money from family for Jeep parts. NEED @ least a 3-3.5" lift. Currently planning on a Rocky Road Outfitters 3" Budget Lift with a set of Doetsch Tech Shocks... not sure if the RRO Standard issue or the PreRunners. (thoughts?) (Saving up for an Rubicon Express XJLA 5.5" Extreme Duty... estimated $$$ 1-1.5yrs from now.)

Before I go and spend the money ($335.53 with 3 day shipping due to time constraints), is there anyone that has a better idea or something up for sale? I know this post probably belongs in the "Wanted" section, but due to time needed to be sure it was focused @ the NW (Bremerton/Tacoma general area... Olympia/Seattle Ok).

MUST get something on before I fly out on travel so the wife doesn't need to worry about heavy loads due to the 31"/10.50R15s I have stuffed on my stocker. (Front is ok, but rear rubs if loaded with luggage/family... Discount Tire Company worked with me to put them on and was SURE the rear wouldn't be a problem and we were only concerned about the front. Even fit tested, I asked if we needed a fit check on rear and they said no. Have minor damage to right rear tire, which they are going to replace FREE of Charge. Very pleased with Discount Tire of Bremerton!)

I know lift blocks are a bad way to go, but I'm not going to get crazy till I get my 5.5" and have to have something for now. Planning on using some 2.5" blocks a friend gave me vice the 1.5" ones that come with the RRO set. This will leave me with a slight rake, but I can handle that for a year or so.

Edit: How much lift (if any) will the stock shocks allow? Was thinking... if I don't need the shocks I could go ahead and get the Adjustable Coil Spacers & RRO Shackes for $295.14. This would be good for future use, AND preclude the rake from using the blocks my friend gave me... but it depends on what the stock shocks can do as the low price on the DTs from RRO is IF they are bought with the complete Budget Lift. (though maybe they'd work with me on a discount if buying the ACS & Shackles.) Though 4" in front may require a Slip Yoke Eliminator (still learning... don't laugh if thats the wrong part LOL!!! I'm a great Electronic Tech, new to wrenching. Good thing my Dad/Bro-In-Law are Wrench Heads!)

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
You should check out eBay. I just got a 3" Rough Country lift for Christmas for $346 w/ shipping. It comes with 3" coils, AAL's, shocks, and lower control arms.

I've heard that AAL can be a pain to put together. I'll look on ebay though. If I had the money to spend I'd just go with an RE 3.5" ($680ish) with new leave packs, but am getting ready to buy a house so I just can't come up with that right now. More thoughts?

Cheaply, I would say get some used 3" springs or get the 3" rusty's springs. Then do what was recommended to me. Go get some Dodge Dakota Leaf springs to mate with the XJ leafs. Or save up and get a good lift kit. No AAL. Make it to a snow run and Hans can show you another inexpensive idea.

Jason

Tires are so stuffed currently, I'm worried I might pack the wells up tight LMAO!!! I'll try to come sometime (once rig is out of shop following fender bender), but I'm set to head out on travel next week sometime till around the 22nd of Jan. Yuk...

I got a Rubicon 3.5" superflex kit with rear AAL from Jeepinjoe.com for 400 bucks with shipping. Took 2 days. I'm going to put it on today. Team it with some cheap shocks from 4wheel parts, you can have a quality lift for ~500 bucks. Plus the lift should hold a decent resale value.

I went DC4WD for 558 shipped with a 3.5" RE Superflex Full Leaf pack. Rumor has it that the new Superflex kits include the new RE disconnects. If this rumor is false, I am selling them on E-bay and going with Michael's home grown disconnects. Another rumor is that RE is raising prices after the first of the year.

The rumor is TRUE. My kit has the Gen II disconnects. It was shipped last monday, so that may be the reason. It wasn't on a self in a shop it was actaully from RE.

Looks like I may just go with the blocks we have for now and a set of ACOS for the front. Will hold me a few months... since I'll be gone so much for a while there won't be a problem as my wife won't be wheelin or anything. Main objective was to stay near the $300 point as possible for the time being. Due to Navy stuff I will probably be gone most of the next year, sooo... before I get time to do anything agressive I should have the money for my RE 5.5" Lift. Still deciding between the regular or Long Arm version.

Thanks for the posts all.

I would definetly put a aal instead of the blocks on (particularly if you are not around to re-tighten them often after first install) they are likely to break even on the road it they are not watched closely for the first couple of thousand miles. The 3.5" aal (full length) is only like about $50. 3" coils are $100 new. Leave the shocks for now (on road) and get some cheap ones later if they are really limiting travel untill you get the 5.5 lift.

What year is your jeep, 96 and newer might need a SYE for the rear driveshaft not the front.

Leave the stock control arms with the 3" lift and make sure the break lines are good. Get it aligned and you are set. Should take a few hours to install it all and cost less than $200 with the alignment.

Michael

call dirk from DPG offroad, he'll give ya a good deal on an RE 3.5 superflex kit, with shims, shocks, disconnects, and good bumpstop plates. you can run 33" tires with his setup and some trimming.

HTH
brandon
PS, don't get the RE XJLA kit... go with RE components and Clayton LA's. theres a thread posted a while back proving why RE's LA kit sucks!

Thanks guys. Turns out some bills emerged that are going to gobble the $$$ for my plans. Gonna have to use the blocks for a month @ least. I'll have my Bro-In-Law keep an eye on them and tighten them up often while I'm gone.

I'll keep the recommendations on LA stuff in mind for future plans. How does the stuff from Rusty, SkyJacker, Ranch, etc compare? Should I stick with standard lift vice LA? (I'll read up on the LA threads around as well.)

2xtreme said:
I would definetly put a aal instead of the blocks on (particularly if you are not around to re-tighten them often after first install) they are likely to break even on the road it they are not watched closely for the first couple of thousand miles. The 3.5" aal (full length) is only like about $50. 3" coils are $100 new. Leave the shocks for now (on road) and get some cheap ones later if they are really limiting travel untill you get the 5.5 lift.

What year is your jeep, 96 and newer might need a SYE for the rear driveshaft not the front.

Leave the stock control arms with the 3" lift and make sure the break lines are good. Get it aligned and you are set. Should take a few hours to install it all and cost less than $200 with the alignment.

Michael
Michael,
We definitely need to duscuss this setup for my '99. It seems WAY too good to be true. (?)

Well...

For Christmas, Rusty's had 4.5" Spring for $100. Thier 3" spring is normally $100.00

Speaking of Randy's sales, I am about to order a Tranfer Case Skid from them for 50.00. Check out the web site for details.

Looking at installing an RE 3.5 Super-Flex with full leaf replacements. Rancho 5000 shocks. Don't want to spend the $$$ on 9000s as money is a problem...

Any thoughts on these shocks? Anyone have a used RE 3.5 lift laying around before I order a new one?

Can't really afford this damn lift right now as I'm trying to buy or build a house, but after trenching my replacement tire a bit (same damage as the first one that was replaced for free (don't see them doing it a 2nd time...) I don't have much choice. Just can't bring myself to install the blocks. (That I already had U-Bolts made for... Bleh! Anyone need some 10" Custom U-Bolts made by Jantz4x4?)

Do not get Rancho 5000's. Use Doest tech (sp?), or other similar (Rusty's, etc). They should be less money and ride better.

Glad to see you did not put the blocks in, you are much better off this way.

If you want cheap I still stand by the full length AAL, new coils, and cheap shocks alternative.

Michael

If you have to get shocks and want to go something cheap? There are better options than Rancho. But I don't want to get shot. Therefore, I will keep my mouth shut.

My cousin just finished a RE 3.5 RE Superflex Lift with Full lift packs. PAIN IN THE ARS!!! The Jeep, not the lift. I think every bolt that could break, did. Not good. Most of my cousins Air Tools wouldn't dent the corrosion and rust that was built up. But, Wobbles in the rear. If you are tight on dollars and a standard subject to Murphey's Law? You will need SYE or a Transfer Case Drop. Hopefully not both.

Jason

Money is always the kicker... as before when I thought I had the $$$ arranged it looks like I'm stuck again. Argh...

As for the Slip Yoke. Is it needed for a 3.5"? Most info I've seen says you don't really need it until you hit 4.5" or taller. Also keep in mind I probably won't be doing must heavy offroad until I go bigger in a year or so, @ which time I had planned on doing the Slipyoke/Driveline/etc. Not sure if it will be the RE 5.5" or a Skyjacker 6" or 8"

For now... I may be back to the damn Rocky Road Budget. sigh... depends on what happens with my house stuff, and what my Tax Return amount comes out at.

Since you WANT a RE 5.5 lift wait till you have the money to buy it. do it how you want it the first time so you dont end up spending more $$$ than you need.

A 2inch BB (shackle/spacer) lift for 100 bucks will be fine for you to clear 31's and you can just keep your stock shocks. it's not worth spending the money on a RE3.5 to just use temporarily.

Well the 3.5" RE would go onto the XJ I'm gonna buy my wife in a couple months once the house issues settle down.

Back