• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering issues - bumpsteer?

lisdexic

NAXJA Forum User
alright, i have 4.5" of lift, and my steering is not hot if you know what im saying. My steering wheel turns farther to the left than right, and around left turns, it tends to understeer. I did some reading on previous threads and I think this is bumpsteer.?

I bought an adjustable trac bar, and i will be purchasing a zj pitman arm. Will this solve the problem? I've read that the trac bar and drag link have to as close to parallel as possible in order to correct bumpsteer.

will this combo put them parallel with 4.5" of lift? Or should i go with a different combo?

thanks

I could be wrong, but I thought bumpsteer was unwanted steering input that occurs after driving over a bump. It sounds to me like you need an adjustable track bar. I'm surprised that you would need a different pitman arm with only 4.5" of lift, but again I could be wrong. Basically, I think you need to do whatever is necessary to center your axle under the front end and then try to get your drag link and track bar as parallel as possible. Follow that up with an alignment asap. I should qualify this post by emphasizing that I am a long way from being an expert in this area.
Good luck,
B.

did you adjust your draglink when you did the lift?

-point the wheels straight
-disconnect the draglink from the pitman arm
-put your pitman arm to the very middle of its travel (count the number of turns lock-to-lock and go halfway)
-adjust draglink length so that you can reconnect draglink to pitman without moving pitman

If you didn't get an alignment after your lift, your steering is going to be all out of wack. I would first get an adjustable track bar to center your axle and then get it aligned.

What control arms do you have?

Back