• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MSD ignition

Sephrion

NAXJA Forum User
i've searched and i know it wears plugs faster and i'd need to replace the coil most likely but what kind of perfomance gains can be expected from running the offroad msd ignition setup? there seems to be some conflicting views so i was wondering if anyone could help clear this up.

Sephrion said:
i've searched and i know it wears plugs faster and i'd need to replace the coil most likely but what kind of perfomance gains can be expected from running the offroad msd ignition setup? there seems to be some conflicting views so i was wondering if anyone could help clear this up.

to clear it up, get some independent dyno results that show a repeatable power or mileage increase - not likely

Is this on a stock motor or a stroker? What other mods do you have? I have a post a few links down that is asking similar questions about ignition upgrades.

AARON

I've used MSD on performance buildups before, but usually as an adjunct to other mods. Would I consider MSD Ignitions a standalone upgrade? Probably not for our purposes.

I would, however, seriously consider MSD for a stroker buildup or for addition of forced induction (to deal with the higher compression) or the addition of nitrous oxide (for a street motor - to light off the denser charge.)

Food for thought...

5-90

Back