• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Hitch?

Lagooz00xj

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking to add some recovery points, and ill be getting the Rusty's Tow Hook kit, but i dont know which hitch i should get. Im looking to keep the price somewhere around $100, lower if possible. Which hitch should i get? THanks for the help.

Also, if anybody has anything good or bad to say about the Rustys Tow Hook kit that would be appreciated.

I like the hitch I got for $100 (plus shipping, of course) from JC Whitney. Tucks up nicely behind the rear bumper. I believe the brand was Hidden Hitch.

Do NOT get the Reese universal that Wal-Mart sells. It lists the XJ as one of the intended applications, but it will not fit the XJ unless you either redrill holes in the hitch flange, or space the hitch away from the frame rails. And even if you make it fit, it hangs WAAAY down.

I always recommend the JCWhitney priced hidden hitch. Good price, excellent quality, tucks up great. Here are a couple pics. I also purchased the Drawtite front mount hitch. It also tucks up pretty well. And it has two side loops on it that kind of double as tow hooks. Hooks are ok, but Ive heard and seen them break/bend. No pics of the front hitch, but here is the rear...

Justin

648974_19_full.jpg

648974_20_full.jpg

I have that same Hidden Hitch and am very impressed with it. It has a strong mount system and was very easy to install. It took me barely any time at all and I did it in a parking lot by myself. It's also good protection for your rear end. I've seen friends recievers get bent up when they drop it on to a rock or something offroading. They were some generic kinds, two different ones but I can't remember the names. I've hit mine hard a few times, to the point that once I dropped onto it and had to drag myself off of it (man I love four wheel drive!) and all it showed were some slight scratches on the bottom. My rear wheels were still on the ground, but you could feel the back end drop when I came off it.....:D

welp, i a fan of the draw tite. It hangs a little lower, but it created a nice point to hit on departure angle instead of the gas tank...
Also, the shop i worked for paid for half of it so it only cost liike 75.00

pics of mine and other peoples here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39241&highlight=hitch

I think YuccaMan ran the Rusty's tow hooks, took em off though - dont remember why...
I like my OEM tow hook package...

Back