• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rustys or bushwacker?

scase86

NAXJA Forum User
I know everyone is going to say use the search, and I want to say I have. Unfortunatly the information seems to be a bit sparse. My question is, what is the better cutout flare? I plan on wheeling a fair amount but mainly on trails rated 5 and down. Strength is a big issue as you never know what you will run into on a trail (literally).If some guys could give me their opinion that would be great. I will be putting on an RE 4.5" lift so the flares will be useful for the extra tire clearance (thinkin about maybe 33's with the cutouts and the 4.5 lift??) also if anyone has opinions on winch bumpers from either cust. 4x4 fab. or rigidco that would be awesome too (whats better, stronger etc.) thanks guys!

I'd have to agree, but if you're dead set on either of those two I'd go with Bushwackers. Rustys from what I hear are really brittle. The nice thing about TJs is you can get a used set for the price of 1 of the other flares. I got a decent deal and paid $70 shipped altogether.

You wrote that "Strength is a big issue". Another user on here (Buck Jackson) ripped off a front bushwacker when gently rubbing an overhanging tree. My jeep also rubbed the same tree on the same trail with the factory flare and it didn't budge. He was mighty PO'd when it happened. In our opinion, it just should not have occurred. Overall though, they seem good, just not super sturdy. I'm sure you will find similar opinions to this through searching. I don't have any experience with Rusty's products, but they do have a pretty bad reputation on this board. Like Ranger and Verrive said, you can get good cutout action and save $ with a set of TJ flares, but then you will have to put up with your jeep looking stupid... :D

PS: Don't cut the pinch seam like the guy in the link that Ranger posted above, at least don't cut them unless you intend to fully weld them back up. Not just to keep crap out of your interior, but also for structural integrity.

Last edited:
4.5 & 33's....you wont need to do much cutting, cut the front fenders at
the crease & just raise & trim your existing flares...remove plastic from fender
wells, I did'nt have to do boo to the rear.

I have Rusty's flares they seem to be pretty strong. I cracked the left rear flare on a rock, used JB weld to hold together. Other than that no complaints.

There has been several threads on this exact topic before....I have the bushwhackers...I like them better then rustys or TJ flairs just for the look.
I don't like the way TJ flares look on an XJ. They just look.....wrong somehow.
But thats just my opinion...Everyone has there own.
I would say Bushwhackers or TJ flares depending on what you like the look of.
As far as strengh goes...I have rubbed mine against rocks,trees,people whatever and never ever had one come off or break in anyway...They scratch a little and thats it. One guy on here rolled his over and never hurt them.

Just stay away from Rustys. They are brittle and His company just sucks in general.

Here's what's left of my Rusty's flares after 4 years...

orig.jpg

This is what's left of my free "ugly" TJ flares after 4 years (and many brushes against trees);

437412279105_0_ALB.jpg

951112279105_0_ALB.jpg

Oh, just one more;

379332279105_0_ALB.jpg

Get the point :D

Greddy

Last edited:
Bushwackers flex, Rusty's shatter. I really don't like the way the Bushwackers install, too bad they can't make them bolt on like a TJ flare does. I know lots of folks that run the Bushwackers and most love them, I know few folks that run Rusty's and most hate them. You make the call.........

the other point to be made about the rusty's flares the rear only has one style .they make the left side and send you two lefts .so you have to install a left cut flare on the right side which makes for a bad product.plus they shatter. i have stuffed my tires into my bushwackers and i took one off with a tree .it was still in good enough condition to bolt back on .only had some cracking but it's still there months later

I havent had any experience with the rustys however i do have the bushwackers and love them not only do they look badass but they can take a beating, i've stuffed my 35's many times and they flex a little but havent ever cracked in 6 months. The biggest thing that no one has really touched on yet is too make sure you install them right, i put nuts and fat washers on the backs of most of the bolts on mine and that seems to help out too.

Tj flares... If I could do it again, I'd try to cut with anything BUT a sawzall... it seems to tugged too much at the metal and leaves little indentations. You might want to consider explorer flares as well. They have a nice round look, and if done right can look very good IMO

I have bushwackers and think they are great! They are better in my opinion than the others options.) Rusty's are a little brittle and the TJs don't fit or look as good in my opinion. some people run the rear TJ on the front and the rear of the XJs.

The front bushwackers are a little wider than the backs. Just what the doctor ordered to keep most of the mud off the side windows.

I'll put my vote in for the rear TJ flares all around. Plenty of room for my 35s, and I've crushed and dragged them completely flat against rocks and trees with no damage other than scratches.

I can only speak about Bushwacker, the company.
I have been to their facility in Portland, Or.
And I must say the customer service I got was Aplus...
It was regarding my Bronco and one flare issue, which really wasn't their fault. Bottom line they made it right.... That's my.02 Good Luck either way.

Back