• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 w/2.5l 5spd, worth it?

robbieyukon

NAXJA Forum User
is a cheap 2.5l and 5spd worth the time? if the motor were to go south would a newer TJ 4cyl bolt in? i know this thing would need a lot of gear to turn the tires. thinking 4.88s with 33"s? let me know what you all think.

I wheeled the crap out of my old 2.5L w/35's and 4.56's. Never really had issues with power wheeling, but the freeway was a different issue.

That should be a tbi efi not the multi-port efi. I ran the tbi and liked it.

I've always been a fan of 4 bangers and low crawl ratios. Get a 4:1 for your 231 and 4.88 gears. That would be a nice setup.

I love my 2.5...mine is a 85 model...it came with a carb. with 4.88's and 33 TSL's it goes anywhere I want...and it cruises just fine...OK...I'll admit that I live in a state where the highest point is 207 ft above sea level...I wouldn't do well on the street in high mountain passes I suspect. Anyways...grab it up and wheel the crap outta it...

Last edited:
With it being an '86...are you sure it's not the 4 spd (AX-4) ?? I just started working on my MJ '86 and it;s the 2.5L TBI with the AX-4.

Back