• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Rear DS in the Front?

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
back story:
Lifted the rig, didnt get the right Control Arms
Drove from NE to CA and around Elko Nevada i noticed some CRAZY front vbrations and deduced that it was teh front driveline. I took the driveshaf off, drove home and took it apart. It did this:
IMG_2382small.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

Problem:
Now i need a replacement front Driveshaft
RE sells and stocks a Rear Driveshaft with 1310 Ujoints that all the RE rep on the phone told me would bolt right up. He also said that the only difference between the front and rear was the wall thickness and i would be getting a stronger driveshaft - that part made me think - Would it work?

I measured the existing Driveshaft from U-Joint bearing cap to U-joint bearing cap at:
29.5" (Stuffed)
33" (Extended )
The RE1811 http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynamic/mainpage.asp?folderid=234
is 15.5" to 35.5" long - does this mean that i will be having issues with seeing a lot of the Slip yoke section and dirt getting in my grease?

Alternative:
Should i get a boneyard driveshaft and put new u joints in it?

anyideas would be great
-Ranger

Cliff Notes:

Rear Doubble Cardan Near Constant Velocity driveshaft used as a front Driveshaft in a Cherokee worthwile or not?

I have an SYE, and my driveshafts are interchangeable. The rear one is made from a thicker tube, but they'll both bolt up in either position.

nice, any problems with your rear driveshaft yet?

Two things!It may hit the exhaust because of the larger diameter,and why not get a shaft direct from TW!

My front and rear shafts are less than an inch different, so I carry a front driveshaft as a spare for both. One time when the CV joint was clicking on the rear shaft I drove home on the spare.......front drive shaft.

The RE shaft will work, but unless you just don't want to bother with it you could get a front shaft from a wrecking yard cheaper.

bought the new front shaft, RE had one custom made for me at Sacramento Driveline Service. I dont want to F*** around with a parts yard thing and refurbish it and bla bla bla...

It is infact a front driveshaft, it has 3" or travel in the yoke, and a Double Cardan spot at the one end. New parts... you pay out the ears for them...

I would have gotten a TW or a High Angle, but i need it to be installed and working on Sunday, and RE is a 1 hour drive, and if i have a problem, they fix it for me and i can pick up the parts.

thanks for all the help

Back