• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another 8.8 question

AZ DESERT RAT

NAXJA Forum User
Working in a wrecking yard I've been talking to some of the dismantelrs who take the cars apart...what they've told me was that the 8.8 has 2 inner bearings that after about 30,000 mile start to grind and tear up the end of the shafts? Anyone running these ever come across this? I went to a few we had laying around the yard and looked at them and sure enough they were ground down? Any comments? P.S. If anyone is looking for parts for these or housings let me know I can pick them for dirt cheap...we are mainly an import yard but have a few domestics..

I've never seen or heard of that one. I'm running it in the rear. I suspect it's an urban legend formulated by the bowtie crowd..

AZ DESERT RAT said:
Working in a wrecking yard I've been talking to some of the dismantelrs who take the cars apart...what they've told me was that the 8.8 has 2 inner bearings that after about 30,000 mile start to grind and tear up the end of the shafts? Anyone running these ever come across this? I went to a few we had laying around the yard and looked at them and sure enough they were ground down? Any comments? P.S. If anyone is looking for parts for these or housings let me know I can pick them for dirt cheap...we are mainly an import yard but have a few domestics..

Yeah, that's the first I've heard of that too. I've got a spare set of 8.8 shafts that have about 50k miles on them and show no unusual wear. I'd like to see pics of the shafts your talking about though.

Back