• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire size and brand recommendation

fordtech

NAXJA Forum User
Im in the market for some new tires for my xj. Its a 98 with exactly 4 inches of lift front and rear. Pics can be seen in my sig. Its my DD, and weekend warrior. I see snow, rain, mud, rocks, some sand, dirt hills, and asphalt.
Im looking to get some aggressive a/t's or mild muds. Im looking at cooper s/t's. I havent found pricing online, but have read they were reasonably priced, and a good performer for the $$. They seem to be popular in australia and new zealand. I have also looked at mickey thompson mtx, big o xt, among others. I had the Big o's in centenial brand on my yj and loved them. the tread design is available in many off brands, but havent found any in ny.
I was hoping to fit 31's on it. Would 31's work ok on 4" lift with stock steelies for mild offroad and daily driving?

Thanks for the advice.

I prefer BFG AT/KO's, just bought 12 last nite for 3 jeeps. They come in 31x10.50's and at BJ's Wholesale are $128 ea out the door mounted and balanced, bought 4 of those.
Good wear, good on and off road, work well in snow which is coming soon...

You should be able to fit 31's. I run 31-10.5 BFG AT/KO's on a 3-1/2" lift. Wrangler MTR's are also a good tire but cost alot.

thanks for the advice.

Im kinda looking to stay under 100 ea, i hope. I definitally want something with sipes. I was thinking about Trxus, but they will be just too aggressive.

As long as 31's will fit ok, I at least have the size down.

Anybody got any impressions of the coopers???

thanks again!

nate said:
With 4" of lift, I'd say a 32x11.5 should be able to fit nicely.
sawzall.jpg

I run the Cooper STT's on both my Jeeps and have been very happy with them. You will get road noise and some mild vibration from them, but they do seem to perform well on the trails. They have the same tread pattern as the BFG MT's without the high price.

4wd_tyre_05.jpg

I called around and 3 places quoted me 135 ea for the st's.... I thought they were cheaper than that. For that price I can get just about anything. I guess Im back to researching.....

I just picked up the mastercraft MT's, there made by cooper, and they were really cheap. I got em at dunn tire, they were about 55-65 bucks a piece, I went with 30x9.5x15 on a 3inch lifted xj. love em and they are quiet on the road, are not wearing at all, and get good grip for our NY weather.

fordtech said:
I called around and 3 places quoted me 135 ea for the st's.... I thought they were cheaper than that. For that price I can get just about anything. I guess Im back to researching.....

Call Fink tire out in Cambridge Springs, PA. Thats were I get mine. Might be a bit of a haul for you though. Paid about that much for my 35 x 12.50's a piece mounted and balanced.

Another vote for the BFG AT. I got my 31's at Costco for $115 each mounted and balanced plus I had another $50 off coupon. With your 4" of lift and cutting of the fenders you can fit 33's. I am putting 33's on with 3" of lift. Just go for it. Make sure not to go any smaller than 31's.

Lore5 said:
Another vote for the BFG AT. I got my 31's at Costco for $115 each mounted and balanced plus I had another $50 off coupon. With your 4" of lift and cutting of the fenders you can fit 33's. I am putting 33's on with 3" of lift. Just go for it. Make sure not to go any smaller than 31's.
When I tried to get 31" tires at Costco, they refused to sell them to me as "installation of tires other than stock sizes is strictly prohibited by company policy". When I took the wheels off and brought them in, the guy knew what the wheels were from and again refused to install them on the wheels. Instead, I had to purchase the tires and then get them installed at the local gas station. I wouldn't have bothered, but I couldn't beat Costco's prices.

Make sure you adjust your bumpstops and steering stops!

B.

Beej said:
When I tried to get 31" tires at Costco, they refused to sell them to me as "installation of tires other than stock sizes is strictly prohibited by company policy". When I took the wheels off and brought them in, the guy knew what the wheels were from and again refused to install them on the wheels. Instead, I had to purchase the tires and then get them installed at the local gas station. I wouldn't have bothered, but I couldn't beat Costco's prices.

B.

I had just bought my rockcrawler wheels and hadn't put the lift on yet. I brought the wheels over to Costco still in the box with my dad's zj. They never said anything to me.

Nihil said:
On tirerack 31x10.5 Kumho MTs are only $93 a piece. Very good price for a well crafted tire.

I second that...similar pattern to the bfg mt's maybe just a little closer together...had them in the snow the other day while i was going back to the shop and they were great in 2wd. On my old 93 they kept me up w/ my buddy who had the bfg mt/s w/ noooo problem.

I just took a set of Coopers off my XJ that were 2 years old...they lasted very well, and worked very well in every type of terrain...they were pretty noisy and had a distinct vibration as you slowed to a stop...they handled good and had suprisingly good manners in the rain. In the 12.5 x 33 size they ran around $140.00 each.

Beej said:

B.
Should have told them, "spare set of wheels for a Wrangler Rubicon", 31,s stock.

I bought 31/10.50-15 Cooper Discovery Radial LT's for my '87 Grand Wag. They do great on the snow and ice. My new 30/9.50's on the XJ are Mickey Thompson MTX Radials and hopefully will work well. Both are relatively inexpensive.

I LOVE my Goodyear 31/10.50R15s MT/Rs!!! Good aggressiveness and low noise/vibration. My Bro-In-Law has 36" Swampers on his 13" Custom Lifted Toyota 4Runner, but DANG... lots of noise/vibration.

Of course the noise/vibration is only a problem for road driving (will also go 480miles on trips to see family in Oregon relatively often)... my XJ is also my daily driver so noise/vibration is a big factor for me.

Also something to consider is: Siping

I know many people hate it, many people love it. I know there is some mileage (tire life) loss, but the extra wet road traction is worth it to me and I had it done to my MT/Rs.

When I was running 31's on my 88XJ, I used Super Swampers because they were so cheap and really loved them offroad, but on the road it felt like the whole Jeep was going to fall apart. Now I'm running 33" BFG MTs and they are really quiet on the road and great in mud and dirt and rocks. IMO it's worth a little extra money not to have that tingly numb feeling every time you get out of the car from vibrations!

Back