• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.8:1 Atles

oceansize

NAXJA Forum User
Yes I searched! Has anyone done this swap? I am thinking about it in whats left of my 88. Just wondering how the install is, any problems, if I need an adapter ring, etc...

I swapped one into a 96 with an aw4, I had lots of time to do it so I took a long time, it wasnt difficult, but it's nice to have a helper and a tranny jack , they are heavy. The adapter ring is needed depending on what version tranny you are using, the aw4 has a few variations around , as far as the output shaft go. This has to do with the number of splines on the output and the length of the output shaft, early aw4's were 21 spline newer are 23 spline, but there are different length outputs on the 23 spline at least, as far as I know.

I'm working on the Atlas 4.3 right now. The only thing I have had to modify is to cut out a small piece in the floor to clear the shifter tower. NOW, all I have to do is manuver the tranny jack around and put the heavy beast into the XJ. Boy, is it heavy!!!

In the Atlas application guide they had to cut some of the floor sheet metal for clearance reasons. Other than that I believe all that is used is a 1" spacer to account for the length of the transmission shaft, no funny adapters are needed. They also make a shifter specific for the XJ.

I put a 3.8 Atlas in my 89 xj, it is the aw4 with 21 splines and the longer shaft. It came with the 1" spacer, shifter kit & everything I needed to do the install, except the driveshafts. I only had to cut out for the shifters no other cutting was needed.

Has anyone added a shaft parking brake to their Atlas? I am thinking about it although it will be a couple of months before I get an Atlas.

I have added an E-Brake to someone elses Atlas we used High Angle Driveline's kit since he was running his 1350 drive shaft/flange already.

I have the 4.3.1 in my XJ and as stated above you will need the 1" spacer, shifter for an XJ w/ AW4, and cut the floor for the shifter as long as you index per Atlas instructions. You can index the transfer case higher but you have to pound up the driveline tunnel/floor board in about 1" for more clearance.

If you are ordering your Atlas and are not picking it up used I would advise spending the extra 189.00 for the front 32 spline shaft upgrade not that you are going to break it but you will be able to run any yoke on the front you want, you won't break it, and if you ever sell it it will be easier to unload.

You can get an Atlas equipped with E-brake etc... from High Angle Driveline they sell them plain jane too but prices are not listed.
He also makes a great driveshaft. Prices below pulled from his site.

"E-brake Atlas - what we call an H series atlas with patented 1350 c/v flanges for- 3.8 2299.00 and the 4.3 2445.00 - Again add 189.00 for 32 spline front upgrade. The New 5.0 ratio pricing is as follows 2349.00 $ has the 32 spline front upgrade- and with our patented flanges 2478.00 - and e-brake version 2634.00"

High Angle Driveline Atlas Info

Phew! those prices are steep, great brake idea though. on my 96, to get the 3.8 to clock up where Advanced suggested, I had to clearance the tranny hump upwards a bit, it was about 20 minutes of judiciously applying my bfh to the inside of the hump. There was just enough space for the stock xmember with skidrow plates on the engine and tcase - the whole t-case and front output is fairly well protected. the floor cutout wasn't a big deal because my console was pretty much ripped out anyway, its now half a console ;-) (butt ugly, but it 's functional) oh and yeah that thing is heavy, I bench pressed it into place once and got out the jack after that, really only had it on and off twice to test fit. the only issue I have now is that the shifters they supplied with it are way too close to my leg, during winter downtime I'm working on a solution to that problem, not a big deal, just an annoyance.

I spoke with High angle drive line and like the idea. The 3.8:1 is all I will need with the 1350 flange on the back and 32 splines up front withthe 1310 CV flange. Well, that is item #1 on my new year's XJ wish list along with longer brake lines and longer shocks out back so I cluld use the additional drop after the 2.5 inch lift and ....... well; I don't want to bore you guys to death so the Atlas is it; first.

Back