• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dome light "upgrade"

XJ4PLAY

NAXJA Member #1194
has anyone switched out the standard single dome light for the dome light with the dual map lights?
I looked into doing this, but it seems that something else is needed to mount it to the headliner or roof.
any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

XJ4PLAY said:
has anyone switched out the standard single dome light for the dome light with the dual map lights?
I looked into doing this, but it seems that something else is needed to mount it to the headliner or roof.
any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

I did. What I had to do though was get the bracket of my 98 that had that option (had to drill it off and then rip it out of the roof) and then I glued it and bolted it into the 97 (and cut a hole in the headliner to match).

If you want map lights go find a ~95 something GM car like an oldsmobile cutlass, they have map lights built into the rear view mirror. Cost about $10 at a boneyard...

RichP said:
If you want map lights go find a ~95 something GM car like an oldsmobile cutlass, they have map lights built into the rear view mirror. Cost about $10 at a boneyard...
you then have to wire it up. would that be more of a hassle then doing it Kejtar's way?

Kejtar said:
I did. What I had to do though was get the bracket of my 98 that had that option (had to drill it off and then rip it out of the roof) and then I glued it and bolted it into the 97 (and cut a hole in the headliner to match).
what did you bolt it to?
I assume you glued it to the roof.

XJ4PLAY said:
what did you bolt it to?
I assume you glued it to the roof.

There is a crossmember there to which I have both bolted and glued it to (I used liquid nails in conjuctions with some small sheet metal screws)

XJ4PLAY said:
you then have to wire it up. would that be more of a hassle then doing it Kejtar's way?
Two thin wires, not a big deal.... Puts the light where you want it too. Map lights behind your shoulder are a PIA cause your head blocks the light you want...

RichP said:
Map lights behind your shoulder are a PIA cause your head blocks the light you want...
I like them better in the back then front as that way they provide the illumination for the map instead of blinding you.

Kejtar said:
I like them better in the back then front as that way they provide the illumination for the map instead of blinding you.

The two lights that are built into the mirror are focused straight down. The passenger can actually read at nite while you are driving. Most of those mirrors are about $10 at a yard...
I had hella map lights mounted on my top trim pieces behind the front seats, both sides, the kind on the flexible stalks, nice lights but too bright for front use, back seat use worked good but still kind of bright up front unless the kids aimed them down more...

Back