• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Winch?

XJ4playin

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking a buying a winch for some time. I've compared the spec. of the 9500 lb, 9000 lb, & 8000 lb units. Does anyone have any expierence with the Warn 9.5xp? I've think I've narrowed it down to either the 9.5xp or the 8274. I also looked are Ramsey winches but I think you get a little more bang for the buck with a Warn. This will be going on an XJ and I figure if I spend the money up front I won't have to spend it again later.

no personal experince with either of the two warn's but ive only heard good things. the only thing about the 8274 is that it is big and will block some of the airflow to your radiator. Persoanlly im going with a ramsey 8.5 e winch

catyrpelius said:
the only thing about the 8274 is that it is big and will block some of the airflow to your radiator.

it doesn't block jack.

if anything it creates more turblant air.

I have the 8274. damn good winch. it sits right in front of the radiator like it does with most vehicles.

ask anyone with an 8274 how it affects cooling.

the "in front of the radiator" is as silly of a made-up internet myth as "4.88s are weak"

I have a 9.5ti(not sure how it compares to an xp) on my XJ and an 8274 on my Dodge 3/4ton. The 9.5ti pulls really well and is pretty quick, but not as quick as the 8274, and has 125ft of cable which is nice too have but sometimes it tought to get it all wrapped up onto the drum without bunching.

I'm a really big fan of the 8274, its strong(its rated at 8000lbs but I swear it pulls more), simple, super fast, really tough, 150ft of cable(very handy) with a bigger drum(so it rolls on easier), and is very reliable. But its HEAVY, blocks the grill, and sucks back lots of amps. Which is why I have the 9.5ti on the XJ.

Its possible to mount an 8274 on an XJ but its usually a home built bumper and if you want to maintain a good approach angle you'll need to cut into the grill. For an XJ the 9.5 is an easier and cleaner fit and is comparable in performance to the 8274.

Don't bother with the Ramsey.

Sorry Beez but I'll have to disagree with you on that point about it blocking the grill. As much as I like the 8274 I did notice that my engine temps were up a bit on the Dodge when towing. Only towing though so its hard to say how much this would affect an XJ on the trail moving at 15mph.

In the little bit of looking I have done for winches I was drawn to the 9.5xp as well. It definitly is more compact than the 8274 and you can remote the solenoid under the hood if you want a super clean look. The 9.5ti is also nice if you like the integrated thing. Either way though they are both more than enough winch for a little XJ.

cLAYH said:
Sorry Beez but I'll have to disagree with you on that point about it blocking the grill. As much as I like the 8274 I did notice that my engine temps were up a bit on the Dodge when towing. Only towing though so its hard to say how much this would affect an XJ on the trail moving at 15mph.

so, your engine runs a little hot when its towing....

yep, I'd blame the winch too.

MontanaXJ said:
In the little bit of looking I have done for winches I was drawn to the 9.5xp as well. It definitly is more compact than the 8274 and you can remote the solenoid under the hood if you want a super clean look. The 9.5ti is also nice if you like the integrated thing. Either way though they are both more than enough winch for a little XJ.

I also looked at the 9.5ti, but its $100 more than the 9.5xp and i don't see any real advantage over the 9.5xp. Both winches are listed under Warn's Ultimate Performance Series. One thing I can't determine is the hp of the 9.5ti??? The 9.5xp has a 6hp motor - the largest I've seen on a electric winch.

Beezil said:
so, your engine runs a little hot when its towing....

yep, I'd blame the winch too.

Sorry I should have specified, hotter AFTER installing the winch, towing the same load/same conditions when compared to how it ran before the winch was installed.

I recently mounted an XD9000i on my XJ. I welded a Warn universal winch plate into my bumper, and set the winch into the grill to get a better approach angle. I originally intended to use a winch with the solenoids mounted under the hood, but later decided to use the integrated solenoid winch. I was worried about it running hot, but only came up a couple of degrees compared to no winch. It will be fine when the fan overide switch is installed.
37d67a377f3d40fea68079b61620b9e7.jpg

93xjmark said:
I recently mounted an XD9000i on my XJ. I welded a Warn universal winch plate into my bumper, and set the winch into the grill to get a better approach angle. I originally intended to use a winch with the solenoids mounted under the hood, but later decided to use the integrated solenoid winch. I was worried about it running hot, but only came up a couple of degrees compared to no winch. It will be fine when the fan overide switch is installed.
37d67a377f3d40fea68079b61620b9e7.jpg

I can tell by how much that thing blocks the grill.....it MUST be an 8274.

:roflmao:

Back