• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

planning a move to Co., suggestions?

goodburbon

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning to move to CO in the next few months, I will be going through there next month. I want the low-down on living in Co. I have heard nightmare stories of pet taxes, and emissions standards.

I also would like opinions on what area to live in, the touristy aspen/breckenridge area seems waaaay to expensive. But Beautiful scenery is a must, as are trees, and a rural setting. I would like to live at least 30 minutes from the nearest city, I was considering the area south of canon city, anyone live there?

I would also definately be joining naxja since this would put me close enough to a chapter.

comments, complaints and war stories welcome, dish the dirt on the dirt in CO.

The only real city is Denver. SO that would limit you right away. Now if you are talking a small little mountain town, well we have plenty of those. You will have to expect to shell out some $$ to live in a ski town. also don't know what kind of work you do but those can be limited at best and at times underpaid in a ski town.
Emisions are enforced but not as bad as say Cali. What pet taxes?? Give us some more info on what you do or want to do and we may be able to steer you a little better. I have been both a Ski bum and a proffesional and I now have the best of both. I have lived in Telluride, Crested Butte, Gunnison, Pitkin, back to Gunnison, Boulder briefly and now reside in Nederland. ( still work in Boulder however.)
Please more info about yourself.

I am a jack of all. I have been an electonics technician for the last 4 years, doing a bit of everything for them including system design and critique. I am computer litterate, I am also very 4x4 saavy, I worked in a mental hospital until it closed, I have been a welders helper/material handler, dishwasher, cook, forklift operator. I know a bit of carpentry, drywall, electricial. I am a pretty fast learner and retain info well. My girlfriend who will be coming with me has a degree in animal science, and has been approved for a federal job as a food inspector, just waiting for an opportunity to arise. We're in our 20's, and have 3 dogs. Marriage and kids will be in the works once we're settled in.

I'd really like to be at least 100 yards away from my nearest neighbor, what do you mean by neighborhood? and are there any houses there for sale?

I'd say the front range would be your best bet. Decent oportunities abound for a jack of all trades.

Then again your young. Move to a ski town of your choice and have fun.

SeanP said:
Hey, get in line fawker. I had my application in first. Pet taxes? what's that?

SeanP
Aint nobody moving here till I start seeing some paper work,with some of that funny green paper in some envelopes!!! :paperwork
Led
P.S. any illegals found will have their jeeps stripped,parted and distributed among the active members of this chapter!!!!! :firedevil

Has anybody told these guys about our special"immigrant tax"for people moving here from other states?The closer you live to either coast the tax increases, so be prepared. :scared:

Don't let Led and Planefixer put you off. there is lots of room around Colorado Springs area, and they would love to have you as a neighbour.

Northern Colorado is full however, and all visitors need to be warned about that crazy australian with the big guns who ain't afraid to blow them away.

Yes, Co Springs is a good idea.

Sure Grant be a NIMBY.See how you are :looney:Sure come to Colorado Springs we can always use some extra hands wrenchin' and its not too expensive to live here and there's a lot less liberals here than up north.
Jeff

Last edited:
It's beautiful, I just spent an hour outside working on my daughters car in -5 degree weather and about 6 inches of snow on the ground.

Would the last person coming to Colorado please close the gate!!

old_man said:
Would the last person coming to Colorado please close the gate!!
I thought that was supposed to read, "Welcome to Colorado - now GO BACK TO TEXAS and take a Californian with you!!"

With that in mind, I'd like to second Colorado Springs or even Pueblo as a destination. We DO keep our liberals down south by the way, in that weird little branch of Eastern California called Boulder...

I'd really recommend moving AFTER you found a job, it's hard enough for the folks that live here to find employment without more people moving in, unemployed.

I lived in New Mexico before moving to CO, and the bumper sticker there was, "DON'T CALIFORNICATE NEW MEXICO, KEEP TEXANS AND CALIFORNIANS OUT." Now that they have tripled my property value, I am in full agreement.
Although if they are bringing a job for me with them, I'd be glad to help them move.

Fred

I see plenty of jobs on the web in the area, and business is boomin here, I dont know what all this talk of recession was. It's kinda hard to get a job without interviewing as well

Update.....damn I didn't realize it has been this long.

We have put an offer on a house West of Canon City and it has been accepted. We'll make the move out there in about another 2 yrs.

goodburbon said:
Update.....damn I didn't realize it has been this long.

We have put an offer on a house West of Canon City and it has been accepted. We'll make the move out there in about another 2 yrs.

y'all are slooooow :farmer:

Back