• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tubing Benders?

Ludakris

NAXJA Forum User
a few months back I saw a post about a fabbed stinger bumper, first project w/ bender. I cant seem to find the post or the bender.. I remember it was resonably priced around the $400 mark...
What are some good benders out there, not the best, but not the worst....

The HF pipe benders are crude, and the dies are sized for pipe, not tube. I have the 16 ton version (I didn't know any better at the time,) and I hardly use it. Not recommended.

Lawn Cher' said:
The HF pipe benders are crude, and the dies are sized for pipe, not tube. I have the 16 ton version (I didn't know any better at the time,) and I hardly use it. Not recommended.

Yeah, I want something that resembles a quality bender.. a manual version of a hydraulic bender... or such... not a bottle jack and a half circle....

Lawn Cher' said:
what is the size difference between, say, 2" pipe and 2" tube?
I didn't know there was a difference. :dunce:

crazyoffroader said:

ahhh!!....."i see said the blind man"

crazyoffroader said:

i hadnt thought about that diference affecting a tubing bender.. ya learn something new everyday!! tubing is measured by outside diameter (OD) and pipe is measured by inside diameter (ID) add th ethinkness of the pipe wall and it can be a full1/4" more O.D., good point mark!!

I'm using a Pro Tools bender. I tried to get a JD2 but they were on an 8-week backorder.
http://www.pro-tools.com/105.htm

One thing I wish I would have done and didn't know at the time was to get the preasure die heat treated. I ran some tubing with crap on it by accident and now it likes to gouge the outside edge of the tubing. I haven't called but I really doubt that's covered under their warranty.

The harbor benders work okay on schedule 40 pipe, but not in tight radius's, and schedule 40 is too heavy for a lot of things. I have a 12 ton version and use it to bend solid stock and it works well for that.

sidriptide said:
i hadnt thought about that diference affecting a tubing bender.. ya learn something new everyday!! tubing is measured by outside diameter (OD) and pipe is measured by inside diameter (ID) add th ethinkness of the pipe wall and it can be a full1/4" more O.D., good point mark!!

Pipe:
http://www.interpipe.com/Pipe_Dimensions_and_Weights.htm

Tubing:
http://www.cuebilt.com/tubebender.htm

Also keep in mind that they are different materials. Pipe is made from a softer steel than tubing. Less rigid.

sidriptide said:

ok. i'm a lil skewed in my understanding.. i'll call the SPOBI Police on myself..

If you are going to do it then buy the best you can afford. Otherwise just purchase the product. I've learned that the hard way. Go with JDSquared (JD2.com). Cheap tools will always give a result you won't like and then you get to go buy the ones you should the first time. Been there done that also. :laugh3:

Check m-techsupply.com. They carry the JD2 benders as well as the NE5 which is the HD version of the JD2, but it has Bronze bushings for all the moving parts.

That's what I have and I have been very pleased with the results.

Dan

Pipe is for plumbing.

r@m

Lincoln said:
I'm using a Pro Tools bender. I tried to get a JD2 but they were on an 8-week backorder.
http://www.pro-tools.com/105.htm

One thing I wish I would have done and didn't know at the time was to get the preasure die heat treated. I ran some tubing with crap on it by accident and now it likes to gouge the outside edge of the tubing. I haven't called but I really doubt that's covered under their warranty.

The harbor benders work okay on schedule 40 pipe, but not in tight radius's, and schedule 40 is too heavy for a lot of things. I have a 12 ton version and use it to bend solid stock and it works well for that.

I have the pro tools 105.
Thats normal to have some Gulling on the sides, just take a die grinder to it on the die, sand paper, then polish it, keep your tube clean and greased, I use wheel grease and paint thiner to clean the tube and remove the grease.

My 2in die has alot more guling then my 1.5in die becuase its much easier to bend 1.5in, even if it is DOM. Its easy to dent 2in compared to 1.5 though once its on your truck..

The JD2 is nice becuase the follower dies have replaceable pads the Pro tools follower surface is one solid piece you have to re-polish if it gets gulled (scratched).

Neither bender comes with a stand.

I have/use the harborfreight tube/pipe notcher. I had to reienforce it with a thicker backing plate, and now after 3 cages, afew hole saws and other various projects it is worn out. Im still using it, but its slopy, off center. I probibly didnt oil it enough when using it.

I dont use a degree wheel on my bender. I made an angle-o-meter (free), two pieces of plate bolted at the end to make a V-shape, draw up your bends on the garage floor with chalk then set the Angle-o-meter and bend till they are the same.

ashmanjeepxj said:
I have the pro tools 105.
Thats normal to have some Gulling on the sides, just take a die grinder to it on the die, sand paper, then polish it, keep your tube clean and greased, ...

That's exactly what I've done a few times. I read that if you have a new die heat treated that's a thing of the past. Mines a 1 3/4" die. I can't remember where I read it either, but I thought there was talk of pro tools doing ever die that way.

I haven't had any complaints about my Pro tools. The gulling was caused by me running some banged up tube through it and wasn't a problem before.

I'm also using the harbor notcher but I'm saving for a better one. Mine does cut on center though.

Back