• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pulls to the right

jb98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98xj w/ 3" skyjacker. Lift has been on about 3 yrs. Probably almost a year ago, it began pulling to the right, pretty much all of the time. Any ideas? I rotated tires, had it aligned, didn't seem to help. I don't wheel it anymore, I have a trail rig. Any ideas?

asuming that all of your suspension parts are in good repair(ie trackbar), I only know of three posible reasons for your problem:
1)Air in the brake lines, causing the left side brake(s) to rub continuously
2)Worn out or broken brake parts on the left side
3)Worn out Steering box or pump.

To eliminate all posibilities, check, replace where necessary, and bleed ALL brake parts(good idea to do this anyway). If that doesn't cure the problem, get the jeep warmed up, drive it around and once back home jack up the front axle so that both tires are off the ground, if the steering wheel cycles to the left without help, then the steering box is going bad.
(I had this happen on a dodge motorhome I had, as soon as it was started and warm the steering wheel would slowly cycle left, I replaced the box and that fixed the problem)

I really like the steering box test....if the spool valve is whacked, it would tend to pull...I have seen two Chevys do this, the steering boxes are similar...the other question besides the brakes dragging (it would pull towards the dragging side...but the brake in question would get very hot) is if the tires are all the same actual diameter...this could be a problem if you have an automatic locker...it wouldn't have any effect to speak of if you have open diffs....the last thing could be one of the hub bearing units going bad....the tight bearings could cause a pull.....this is all assuming you don't have anything in the suspension whacked.

Thanks, I will check into these suggestions.

Back