• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8->3.4 swap...DONE(kinda)

85Chief

NAXJA Forum User
First off, I want to say thanks to eveyone who helped me through this very transformation.(I plan to apply for membership soon!). I'm not sure as to where this should fit, topic wise, but I did modify the Jeep, and want to show what I did. Sooo here it goes. (feel free to move to different topic).

Started out about 2 months or so ago searching for a 93-95 camaro engine to replace my 2.8 with 183,XXX. I found one on the east side of Indiana (6 hour drive away). Anyways, I got an engine with 70,XXX miles for $550 shipped. I figured it would come in a semi or something of that nature, but 2 guys drove up in an S-10 with the engine strapped down without a crate or anytning. I figured it up and the company lost money delieverying it themselves. From here I new things would go smoothly for me. :bs:

I had about a week to stare at the 3.4 before I could really do anything major so I decided to clean it up and spray on some Chevy orange. Why?..well..why not?

So I take out the 2.8 one weekend fighting every tranny bolt, and engine mount bolts etc. I begin to tear into the engine removing pullys, oil pan, etc,
(Note: I have school and a few part time jobs, so I had little time to do this project, thats why it lasted so long)

After several weeks of things breaking, or needed tools for this and for that, I finally had the engine ready to drop in. Just a note to anyone that does not already know this---Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong....no matter how big or small. It seemed like this whole project never wanted to cooperate.

I finally got it dropped in, bolted up, and spent many hours slapping myself for thinking I could remember that vacum hose -A- goes here, and the red wire goes there. After many, many, many cold nights in the garage, We got it fired up.....and then it leaked antifreeze, oil, and transmision fluid. :anon: I then fixed those leaks after finding where they originated from, and I was ready to go. From there I drove it for 1 day and the starter went out, went through 3 fuel pumps, and 1 battery. :doh:

So after too much $$$, a lot of swearing, sweating, and smashed fingers, I had something that lived. I must say that before now I had no idea about working on engines, but am glad to know that I can do it....with some help of a few friends.

Here are some pictures of the process
New Engine arrives:

Engine1.JPG

New Engine Clean and Painted (before swaping everything from 2.8 over)

Engine2.JPG

Old Engine (coated in an inch thick of oil)

Engine3.JPG

New Engine Installed

Engine4.JPG

The engine is a big inmprovment, and I am glad I did this. (although I haven't totalled up the reciepts for fear of a heart attack).

A few things that were helpful/to take note of
1). The old engine being so coated in oil that I needed no breaker bar to release any bolt because it was already lubbed up.
2). It helps working on getting the tranny bolts unbolted when it is lifted. Would have been hell if I was still sitting at stock.
3). Make friends with anyone who knows what they are doing with an engine (that is if you were in the same boat as me)
4). Make sure you have twice as much money as you plan to spend for those little things.

What guide I followed- http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Project_XJ/Project_XJ.htm

Thanks for everything NAXJA
85Chief

Last edited:
That's how I learned about engines...My friend borrowed my 1st car, a '76 camaro w/ inline 6, about a week after I got it, to go to work & came right back. He said "that motor's blown, it's knocking". I said "what do I do?" "replace it". My other friend had a impala w/ a 305 V-8, & some neighborhood drunks said they knew how to swap & would help me. It was really easy, everything including driveshafts lined up. engine+trans. slid right in. I drove it around the block, changed the oil, & it never started again. The motor seized when I drained the oil, common if the engine had never seen an oil change. i swapped it again, this time by myself, & started calling myself a mechanic.

Good work. I just finished installing a 3.4 into my cherokee and I definitely agree, it helps to be lifted. I'm still trying to figure the quirks out of having a new engine.

How do you like the better performance. Mine's not what I hoped it would be but I think my tires are sapping the power.

crimsonride said:
Good work. I just finished installing a 3.4 into my cherokee and I definitely agree, it helps to be lifted. I'm still trying to figure the quirks out of having a new engine.

How do you like the better performance. Mine's not what I hoped it would be but I think my tires are sapping the power.

I can feel a difference..but it's not as much as I hoped. Hopefully it will get a little better with a new carb that im getting in a week or so. ( I have to keep my foot on the pedal for a good 5 minutes in the morning for it to just stay running).
I'm hoping this is the last thing I need to do for the engine for awhile. I know I need to fix a tranny line leak, but that should be it.

85Chief.

85Chief said:
( I have to keep my foot on the pedal for a good 5 minutes in the morning for it to just stay running).

85Chief.

I know you probably won't need it since you'll have a new carb but one thing you can do is to take a shifter and cable from a mountain bike and mount it as a handtrottle. a good place to mount the shifter itself is on the tranny shifter and attache the other end of the cable at the same place as the trottle cable on the carb. then you can just adjust you idle at the speed you want and you can also use it as a cruise control. and if your jeep is manual it can also be usefull when you need that third foot when playing in the rocks.

makmadison said:
Great job! Interesting you didn't keep the fuel injection .....

I'm a non-mechanic, don't have a garage either, so I hired a guy to do a 2.4 -> 3.4 swap in my 1987 XJ. Should be firing it up sometime this week .... we/I kept the fuel injection on the 3.4l, the AX5 tranny .....

I plan to post an addendum to http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles.../Project_XJ.htm , and a guy on a Camanche list has a swap guide.

Mark

What all did you have to do to keep the FI?

I have done the 3.4 swap and it is deff worth it over the leaky 2.8 . You should look on ebay for a rebuilt carb if you cant afford a weber 38. It should perform alot better with a new carb, i knew mine was just worn out and its now great with the new rochester vara jet 2 i got on ebay for $55.

One thing to note is to make sure the gasket plate under the carb with the fuel heater is working ($85 at chevy dealer listed under a 1985 chevy citation/S10) cause it is not supplied with the new carb luckily mine was still good and also check your EFE relay ($23 at Jeep Dealer, little tin box with TRW Logo on pass side inner fender) that controls the fuel heater if these are not good it just wont run right and that why you have the issue with keeping it running when cold also.

Matt

XJ_Matt said:
I have done the 3.4 swap and it is deff worth it over the leaky 2.8 . You should look on ebay for a rebuilt carb if you cant afford a weber 38. It should perform alot better with a new carb, i knew mine was just worn out and its now great with the new rochester vara jet 2 i got on ebay for $55.

One thing to note is to make sure the gasket plate under the carb with the fuel heater is working ($85 at chevy dealer listed under a 1985 chevy citation/S10) cause it is not supplied with the new carb luckily mine was still good and also check your EFE relay ($23 at Jeep Dealer, little tin box with TRW Logo on pass side inner fender) that controls the fuel heater if these are not good it just wont run right and that why you have the issue with keeping it running when cold also.

Matt

Thanks for the info Matt and everyones comments. One question I have is how do I know what carb to look for. I know that I need a 2 bbl carb, but I don't have an idea on CFM, and on the weber carbs what the 32/36 or 38 DGES or DGEV etc is. I talked to a guy here in town and said I was better off getting a rochester like the one that was original. I agreed that it would be easier because of all the vacum lines, but at the same time I would like for it to run better. I no nothing about carbs, so if anyone could steer me in the right direction that would be more than helpful.

I found this site http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/cat-chevycar.html and think I need the "173-2.8 L. Eng Except Camaro Computerized VaraJet" carb for 289.95 (lifetime), but wasn't sure.(under 6cyl 2bbl rochester).

Please help!
thanks
85Chief

the 38 DGES (properly jetted) would be a good mod...but it has been some time since any were shipped over here from Italy because of labor problems. Might be hard to find a new one...

85Chief said:
What all did you have to do to keep the FI?

I think, since the 1987 2.5l was TBI, there was some harness to work with. We got a wiring diagram from Mitchells, for both the 1987 2.5l XJ and the 1995 Camaro. Just plugged away at getting the wiring soldered, shrink wrapped and covered. Here's my write up so far: http://www.wigiftcards.com/Project_XJ.htm

The test comes this week ..... will it start? How does it run? What wiring did we miss or screw up?

makmadison said:
I think, since the 1987 2.5l was TBI, there was some harness to work with. We got a wiring diagram from Mitchells, for both the 1987 2.5l XJ and the 1995 Camaro. Just plugged away at getting the wiring soldered, shrink wrapped and covered. Here's my write up so far: http://www.wigiftcards.com/Project_XJ.htm

The test comes this week ..... will it start? How does it run? What wiring did we miss or screw up?

I read your post wrong...I now realize you are dealing with an 87. I got a little confused there. Congrats anyways

sgtcherry said:
hey, i just threw in a 305,
did you have to move your x-member?

not sure if your asking me, but I didn't have to. The 3.4 bolted up to the tranny so there was no moving the motor mounts or anything of that caliber.

makmadison said:

That's interesting. You're the only other person I've heard of that's kept the FI for that swap. I've got a few questions for you when you get it running. Like what you did for a temp sensor. Odd enough my engine fit under the hood without any clearance issues at all. Geting the right belt can be a issue, let me know if you need a part number. First one was too loose and sqeaked like crazy. Second one was too tight and made the water pump leak. The third one's been going strong. Do you have any pictures of the setup? I've still got to work out an intake.

Back