• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Carb Needed (only $250 to work with...)

85Chief

NAXJA Forum User
My carb has finally shot the dust after being rebuilt. (2.8 Rochester Carb)

I only have $250 to deal with and theres no way I can afford a new Weber now, or in the near future.
2 options that I have found were...

1). I have looked here ( http://www.carburetorsdirect.com/catalog_crm/product.asp?cat=4 ) and have found a replacement carb (Rochester) for $179 and a $40 core deposit. This has a lifetime Warranty with free shipping.

2). I found a Holly carb for the same amount and same warrenty. (can't remember where I saw it though)

Would it be better to have the stock carb on there, or get rid of some of those vacum lines and get a holley or something else in that price range.

Any other suggestions for carbs are appreciated, but remember I only have about $250 (which won't get me much of anything) to deal with and that won't get me a Weber.

Please Help!
85Chief

How do you feel about rebuilding your carb? Kit would probably cost $30-50 or so, and Rochesters tend to be simpler than most other late-model carburettors...

Or, crawl your local boneyards and look for the hardware and donor electronics for a 2.8 or 3.1 FI setup - either TBI or Port - and go that route. I can't give you an estimate on parts, but it is another option. No need to be picky about donor vehicles - the top end is the same for FWD/RWD/4WD V6-60 GM engines.

Just tossing out another couple possibilities...

5-90

Thanks for the responses
I did have the carb rebuilt by a friend who has been doing it for years. This only lasted a month or so and he says that things are just too worn out to give much hope. He says that a new/rebuilt one with a lifetime warrenty would be worth getting.

I haven't thought too much about FI, although I have a 3.4 FI sitting in my garage with all the wiring chopped to hell...

Back