• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

re 6200 install woes

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing the drop bracket braces on my 89 and it appears that the braces are too long by about 4 inches or so.Not to mention rubicon gave me 2 pass side braces.So wtf?Has anyone had this problem?The directions(vague at best)do not mention anything about drilling holes in the brace to match up with the holes for the cross member and the re catalogue only lists one part # for these braces so I assume that they only offer one brace?Are there different braces for auto or manual cross members or what?tia.btw it's a 5 speed.

The RE DB kit has always been a PITA to install.Usually alot of"tweaking/drilling/grinding" to get thing lined up.

Keep in mind that this is less on an RE quality control issue, as the brackets and mounts on the XJ body vary in tolerances from year to year and also the amount of hard wheeling the rig has seen. Some bolt right up, others require some "massaging" to fit.

XJEEPER said:
Keep in mind that this is less on an RE quality control issue, as the brackets and mounts on the XJ body vary in tolerances from year to year and also the amount of hard wheeling the rig has seen. Some bolt right up, others require some "massaging" to fit.
So how does that explain the missing driver side brace?

Have you contacted RE about the order yet? Mistakes like that happen with all companies, you aren't the first to have that kind of thing happen.

When you say hte braces are too long by 4", what part is too long?

Did you follow step 11?
RE6200 Install Instructions said:
11. See instructions for installation of RE9900 control arm drop brackets. Install now before proceeding.
When looking at the actual RE9900 install instructions http://www.rubiconexpress.com/instructions/rubiconexpress/RE9900-9905A.pdf one notices the following step:
RE9900 Install Instructions said:
15. Note that the RE9905 support braces will not work on Comanche pick-up trucks. Also, on some early model XJ’s, braces may need the holes for the cross member re-drilled. If you are installing the braces on your XJ Cherokee you will want to install them simultaneously with the other brackets because they share 4 bolts on either side.
Maybe it's just me, but the instructions on RE's site seemed adequate for the job for me. *shrug*

Yucca-Man said:
Have you contacted RE about the order yet? Mistakes like that happen with all companies, you aren't the first to have that kind of thing happen.

When you say hte braces are too long by 4", what part is too long?

Did you follow step 11?When looking at the actual RE9900 install instructions http://www.rubiconexpress.com/instructions/rubiconexpress/RE9900-9905A.pdf one notices the following step:Maybe it's just me, but the instructions on RE's site seemed adequate for the job for me. *shrug*
Ok I feel like an idiot now.The instruction sheet for the drop brackets was in the bottom of one of the boxes hidden under packing

I can understand your woes------- When I got my kit I had missing bolts and wrong size bolts. One of these days i will replace the current find in the garage bolts to brand new nice bolts because of the time frame I was working in.-------Kyle

So it's obvious I have to drill holes in the brace to make it work on my year of xj so can someone offer any advice on the best procedure,please.I want to do it right the first time.Thanks

has any body had a hard time installing the lower control arm at the bracket? I find I have to grind down my alignment shoe in order to make it fit. thoughts??????????????

XJEEPER said:

You gotta love one size fits all, I find my rig having less and less Rubicon parts in the near future........... :wierd:

You are suppossed to grind down the back side of the LCA pocket, the part facing the rear axle.

Even with a tweaked unibody, mine werent too bad of an install. Leave everything looose, follow the directions, and you will be good.

Oh, and one more thing....the bolts used to go through the alignment shoe, and brace need to be an inch longer than what RE says...makes life easier.

Fergie

I got the brackets on everything lined up pretty good. its like the bracket for the lower control arms are too narrow. I cant get the lower control arms in. I'm off my at least an 1/8th of an inch. I guess I'll be grinding tomorrow.

Alaskaflyr said:
I got the brackets on everything lined up pretty good. its like the bracket for the lower control arms are too narrow. I cant get the lower control arms in. I'm off my at least an 1/8th of an inch. I guess I'll be grinding tomorrow.
Why grind when you can just leverage it in? It's gonna be a tight fit, but you needn't grind anything down.

The major problem I had stemmed from the tweaked unibody on the passenger side. The UCAs were a real beotch to line up, but I loosened everything, and things finally worked. DON'T TIGHTEN ANYTHING!!

Fergie

grinding won't help much. Just keep the arm and shoe together as best you can and wedge it up in there. Crowbar, mallet, and muscle.

You shouldn't tighten down all the bracket pieces until you have put the arms in. When you tighten down the brackets they will sandwich the rods end pretty hard.

Back