• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Most Useful Air Tools

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
Have a new compressor and am am ready to do my lift among other repairs. What air tools are most useful when wrenching underneath? 1/2 impact, 1/2 or 3/8 air ratchet?? $$$ are spent on parts so I must be selective in choosing tools, espically during this season. I know a grinder or die cutter is useful as well when cleaning with a wire wheel. Suggestions????? I'd go to Harbor Freight for the tools but I'd rather invest in decent stuff, thus a budget.

Budget IS a 4 letter word!!

Thanks,

the two air tools i use the most are the impact (essentially a must-have) and the air hammer. i like the 3/8" ratchet for snugging nuts/bolts down quickly, then doing a final tightening with a regular ratchet or torque wrench. a die grinder was invaluable when i was porting my head... but i haven't used it much since then.

Number one for me is a 3/8 butterfly impact. If you get a cheap 1/2 impact, it won't hardly get lug nuts off your wheels.

1) 1/2 in impact wrench
2) cut off wheel/grinder
3) air chissel
4) drill
5) 3/4 impact wrench (high torque for axel nut, jammed lugs etc)
don't use it much but worth it's weight in gold when needed
6) sandblaster for cleanup/ body work

agreed with air ratchet, not really usefull, not enough torque to break anything loose and too bulky to get into tight spots. It's good if you're doing a series of body panel bolts though.

A 1/2" Air Gun is mandatory IMO... Combined with a good selection of sockets, extensions, etc. you can ususally tackle just about everything major... I prefer to use a manual 3/8" ratchet on 'smaller' items - brakes, engine, etc. - It just allows a lot more feel than an air ratchet...

This is all you really need for air tools in order of usefullness:

1) 1/2" impact
2) air chisel/hammer
3) 3/8 ratchet

Last edited:
A standard set of 1/2" 6 point, impact sockets in SAE and Metric. I´ve had pretty good luck with Korean cheapies, Koreans often do steel well and the price is right.

Vug said:
I bought one of the Aircat 1/2" impact drivers out of Northern Tool recently. It has the highest torque value for the dollar spent that I could find. So far I am pleased with it.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...isplay?storeId=6970&productId=861253&R=861253

And it's made in the USA to boot!!!
Vug said:
Skip the 3/8 ratchet. I never use mine.

I recommend an 3/8 drill though. I grab that almost as quick as my cordless.

I'd have to disagree on the ratchet though, I use mine as much or more than my 1/2" impact.

If your buy foreign made impact sockets go for the Ingersol Rand sockets. They are very nice and their cheap.

B-loose

I use my 3/8 air ratchet more than anything. The 1/2 impact needs to be a decent one, the cheaper HF models just don't get the job done. I use the 1/2 impact on the wheel lugs (which come off often) and suspension bolts, and a few other misc things, but the 3/8 gets used a lot. I've only used my air chisel one time, so I don't agree with that being so important.......but I don't live where things rust. The tool that I really like is my little air body saw, like a real small sawzall, it's the perfect tool for cutting any sheet metal.

Here is a list of my air tools in order of what I use most. I'm a HD mechanic by trade.

1/2" Impact Gun
3/8" Impact Gun
3/8" Air Rachet
Air Hammer gun
Air Die Grinder

Also have a small blow gun for cleaning and blowing out holes and stuff. Pretty handy. The 3/8" Impact Gun probably gets almost as much use as the 1/2" and probably twice as much as the 3/8" rachet. It is really handy for bench work or tight spaces that the 1/2" can not get into or delicate work that the 1/2" would destroy. I didn't have a 3/8" impact for a long time and was surprised at how useful it was when I did get one. I only resort to the 3/8" air rachet when the space is too tight to get the 3/8" impact in.

Air hammer is great when used with a fork for tie-rods and balljoints. The chisel works well for nuts that are siezed and need to be chiseled off. Can rip of exhaust pretty good as well.

Die grinder is great for certain jobs but I would not buy one untill you have a specific need for it.

While I don't own air tools yet my rule of thumb has always been don't buy it till I need it. Looking through tool catalogs is very seductive. Past experience has taught me that purchasing tools that I thought I might need in the future has almost always been a waste of money.

Yardape speaks truth.

Also, I've never really found a good use for an air rachet. They can't "crack" most bolts and for removing/snugging bolts I find a manual rachet works well enough.

$0.02

r@m

1/2 inch impact
3/8 ratchet
angle die grinder

i use all 3 of them all the time, in fact when i did my front u joints i used each of them. next on my list is a straight grinder and prolly a nailer of some type.

i recommend getting a pretty good impact, but you can go with harbor freight for the grinders/ratchets. i actually bought one of each to use at work. and neither of them have let me down. i just keep them oily.

I have a set of air tools from costco, forgot the price, but the 1/2 inch impact has some serious power, I have not come across a nut/bolt it will not remove. I did the axle nuts up front and removed the damper bolt from a 95 ford contour 4 banger without a problem. The kit included a set of shallow SAE 6 pont impact sockets, cut off wheel, 3/8 rachet (very loud so i dont like it) die grinder and air hammer. Its either a Mastermechanic or Mastercraft set.

~Alex

Back