• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jb conv super short slip yoke elim question

turbobaja1835

NAXJA Member #1299
I have been running there super short slip yoke eliminator in my 92 cherokee for a while and love it. The only problem is I still don't have the speedometer hooked up. The wiring diagram that comes with the kit is for three wires coming to the back of the transfer case and my xj only has two. I called JB conversions and they have never heard of the problem. I tested the wires to try and find the 5 V positive one but neither one of the wires shows any positive voltage. Anyone have any ideas or faced this problem yet? I don't mind driving without a speedo for now but I would like to get it hooked up.

Thanks< Joe

92 XJ RE 5.5" LA ford 8.8 (detroit locker) dana 30 (ARB) 4.10's, 1.5" spacers and a 4.7L stroker, oh and 31's for the moment

turbobaja1835 said:
I tested the wires to try and find the 5 V positive one but neither one of the wires shows any positive voltage.
It's just a thought, but was the key off when you did that test?

I've been researching this some for an issue in a '94 YJ.

What signal is coming down the two existing wires? I bet there is a 5V and the other is the signal back to the computer.

The third wire on the sending unit for the JB kit is a ground. Don't know if it would have to be hooked up or just left open.

Anyone got anything new and interesting on this subject. Still haven't solved it and not a priority at the moment as i have just been driving with my GPS on the dash but I would like to get the speedo hooked up to see if that brings my emissions back down.

Joe
92 XJ
RE 5.5LA
Ford 8.8 w/detroit &4.10's
Dana 30 w/arb &4.10's
4.6L stroker

Doubt it will bring the emissions down, but I did get my dad's working this weekend.

His had three wires. One was reading 7 volts, the next was reading 3.3 (computer), and the last was ground. I hooked the 7 volt wire to the orange, the 3.3 to the tan, and the black I hooked to the ground. Works fine, but it's reading fast. Not sure why it was reading 7 volts when it is supposed to be 5 but it works.

Just for you I unhooked the black and grounded the black on the sensor to the frame. Worked the same as above. If you drop the ground for the sensor it quits working.

Lincoln said:
Doubt it will bring the emissions down, but I did get my dad's working this weekend.

His had three wires. One was reading 7 volts, the next was reading 3.3 (computer), and the last was ground. I hooked the 7 volt wire to the orange, the 3.3 to the tan, and the black I hooked to the ground. Works fine, but it's reading fast. Not sure why it was reading 7 volts when it is supposed to be 5 but it works.

Just for you I unhooked the black and grounded the black on the sensor to the frame. Worked the same as above. If you drop the ground for the sensor it quits working.

The thought behind the emissions deal was the fact that the computer uses the vsp(vehicle speed sensor) reading as a variable just as it does the tps, oxygen sensor etc... I figured out what my emissions problem is though, seized ring on number three cylinder.

The 7 volts doesn't seem right to me, mine reads five precisely. Down to a hundredth. Was wondering "lincoln" what color were the wires under your dad's jeep? Thanks for the extra effort.

Joe
92 XJ
RE 5.5LA
Ford 8.8 w/detroit &4.10's
Dana 30 w/arb &4.10's
4.6L stroker

Back