• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 5.5" - What shocks are you running?

jshwank

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, those of you guys that have the RE 5.5" lift installed, what shocks are you using? I am currently running the OME's that I was running way back at 3.5" and they're definitely too short now that I'm at 5.5". Also, they seem way too soft for the spring rate of the 5.5" springs. I've tried searching and haven't found exactly what I was looking for and a few of the posts seemed to get off topic.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the RE monotubes with this lift? If so, could I get some feedback on how you like/dislike them? Pros? Cons?

Any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeremy

We have that lift and running the mono tubes (which is really an Edelbrock shock) and the ride is outstanding. Much better than a lot of shocks out there. Later...Clint

im running the ome's with the 4.5 lift.. and they limit my flex.. too short.. and i also think they are a little too soft..

Come on guys...I know there has to be a lot more people running the RE 5.5" lift with all the modified XJ's on this board...please share with me what shocks you guys are all using! I would just like to get more info to base my decision on...

Please...I'm beggin ya!!!

Are you using the stock mounting points or do you have bar pin eliminators? Right now I have 6” of lift in the rear and about 3” in the front. I also have rear JKS BPE, front JKS BPE and front Warrior Products shock mount conversions. In the rear I run some Destoch shocks that came with a 3” lift kit and the front uses stock rear TJ shocks. It works fine for now, but I’ll switch over to Rancho 9000s when its time for new shocks.

I am running OME XJ shocks up front and ZJ long travel in the rear. I like this set up and rides much better than stock. This is most likely do to replacing old and warn parts though.

jshwank said:
Come on guys...I know there has to be a lot more people running the RE 5.5" lift with all the modified XJ's on this board...please share with me what shocks you guys are all using! I would just like to get more info to base my decision on...

Please...I'm beggin ya!!!

This is an old answer to an old question. Regardless of what other people are running, you don't know if their shocks are limiting travel or not just by them saying what they're running. The ONLY way to find what shocks are right for your setup is to flex the rig with the shocks disconnected at one end and measure both droop and compression. Then, after taking into account any changes you might make, like BPE's, go to a shock length chart for the brand shocks that you want to buy and decide which shocks are the correct length.

Now, a discussion of impressions on how shocks ride is a good one, but that also is somewhat subjective because of different tastes and expectations. BTW, BPE's are questionable......they take up room you could use to run a longer shock. If you're not annoyed by loose shock bushings allowing the shock eye to bang against the shock mount, you won't gain anything by going to PBE's.

Goatman said:
This is an old answer to an old question. Regardless of what other people are running, you don't know if their shocks are limiting travel or not just by them saying what they're running. The ONLY way to find what shocks are right for your setup is to flex the rig with the shocks disconnected at one end and measure both droop and compression. Then, after taking into account any changes you might make, like BPE's, go to a shock length chart for the brand shocks that you want to buy and decide which shocks are the correct length.

Now, a discussion of impressions on how shocks ride is a good one, but that also is somewhat subjective because of different tastes and expectations. BTW, BPE's are questionable......they take up room you could use to run a longer shock. If you're not annoyed by loose shock bushings allowing the shock eye to bang against the shock mount, you won't gain anything by going to PBE's.

Goatman, thanks for the reply, but I'm not really asking about shock length or BPE's. Just wanted to get an idea of what people are running with their RE 5.5" lifts. Any info I get is obviously questionable, but hopefully it will help me make a more informed decision.

You forgot to mention what kind of shocks you're running?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Lunatic728 said:
I am running OME XJ shocks up front and ZJ long travel in the rear. I like this set up and rides much better than stock. This is most likely do to replacing old and warn parts though.

I'm running the same setup and it works great. The ride is comfortable on the road and off road it handles great too.

Back