• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88s for D30

nate

NAXJA Forum User
I'm curious on how people feel about 4.88 gear sets for the D30. I know when they were first introduced, they ran 1 tooth contact, and have since gone to 2 teeth.
Anyone know what the contact is for 4.56?

I'm curious why Dana doesn't manufacter 4.88 gear sets. Are 4.56s considered the reasonable "limit"? Guys running 4.88s, they holding up fine?

nate said:
Guys running 4.88s, they holding up fine?

Yup, just fine. Multiple trips through the Rubicon, one through Fordyce, numerous to Hollister Hills, and daily driving. The rest of the axle has suffered, but the gears are fine. I run an Aussie Locker in the front also.

nate said:
I'm curious on how people feel about 4.88 gear sets for the D30. I know when they were first introduced, they ran 1 tooth contact, and have since gone to 2 teeth.

I'm curious why Dana doesn't manufacter 4.88 gear sets. Are 4.56s considered the reasonable "limit"? Guys running 4.88s, they holding up fine?
So how big of tire are you going? I have been thinking of going to 4.88 from 4.56

Just run the 4.88s. Yeah, you "could" run the 4.56s, but you "could" also run 35s with 3.55s. Why would you want to?

i remember reading something about 35's with 3.55s and the guy said they worked great and that he could go anywhere anyone else could with deeper gears.

Ramsey said:
i remember reading something about 35's with 3.55s and the guy said they worked great and that he could go anywhere anyone else could with deeper gears.

obviously that guys says this cause he has never had deeper gears. Sure you can do it with more go pedal and sucky performance.

The pinion on HP30 4.88s is tiny.
I broke 3 in a day once.
Tiny, tiny little pinions.
There is 3/5 of ONE tooth meshing at a time.
Unreal.
Tiny, silly little pinions.
I keep sending them back, with a note that says they broke during shipping, and the vendor believes me!
They are that fragile!
HTH.
:laugh2:

3.07s rule just hit the gas real hard!!! :wierd:

nate said:

4:88 are working fine for me. They've held up to 33s and locked at Moab, Colorado, and here in AZ.
Wouldn't worry about it... :wave:

So you had 2 spare sets of gears with you, time to set them up, break them in, and wheel them enough to break them??

I talked to Randy's and they told me the older ones ran with 1 full tooth contact, and the ones that are made now are 2 tooth contact.

bgcntry72 said:
The pinion on HP30 4.88s is tiny.
I broke 3 in a day once.
Tiny, tiny little pinions.
There is 3/5 of ONE tooth meshing at a time.
Unreal.
Tiny, silly little pinions.
I keep sending them back, with a note that says they broke during shipping, and the vendor believes me!
They are that fragile!
HTH.
:laugh2:

Last edited:
nate said:
So you had 2 spare sets of gear and time to set them up, break them in, and wheel them enough to break them??

I talked to Randy's and he told me the older ones ran with 1 full tooth contact, and the ones that are made now are 2 tooth contact.
I think he was being sarcastic, which would be HIGHLY unusual for him! :laugh3:

Yeah I figured that much. I only know a few people on here, so it's hard to tell though.
How did you get a smiley on your post? I can't find them on here.

What's funny is alot of XJ guys say yeah 4.88s are great with 35s. Then if I go to the ZJ forums, they are saying that's way overgeared. Maybe with the V-8... but with the 4.0, 4.56s are all that great.

I've done the calculations, and 4.88s are fine number wise... I just wanted to discuss strength. I know where they first came out, there were alot of problems with them. Perhaps, that's were they got the bad rep.

Last edited:
Yup... I have no idea who you are, so for all I know you could have really busted a few sets or whatever. Scarcism is pretty hard to convey on a web board.

Last edited:
nate said:
So only 3 people on here have 4.88s? Everyone else running 4.56?

I am running 4.88's, and they are great.

I'd say the weak link is the u-joints on your axle and not the pinion.

Les

D30 4.88 having a weak pinion is an urban myth.......there's never been any evidence to back up that web wheeler claim. CJ's and other Jeeps used to come stock with 5.38 gears, I know, I had one. They were standard cut and nobody talked about how weak they were (other than the spider gears), and the XJ/ZJ/YJ D30 is reverse cut which is supposed to be stronger.

4.88's are good gears for 33's, and are OK for 35's. I ran 5.13's with 35's.

Ive been running high pinion 488s in my YJ since shortly after they hit the market. Superior was the only ones available at the time. There was alot of talk and speculation about how weak they were but I think if you really look at the failure rate, theyve held up fine. Thats not to say none have ever broken, because Im sure they have, but I dont think they are inherently weak. I think your u-joints and axle shafts have a better chance or breaking than a 488 R/P set.
For bgcntry72,
Not doubting that you broke 3 sets, but unless you are breaking other stuff along with them, I think I would have to question how those gears where set up. I mean 3 in a day. It takes me darn near a day to correctly setup one a R&P. I couldnt imagine doing 3 in one day and still having time to go out and break them. Thats a full day.

Back