• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building Bumper Brackets

I'm building brackets for a bumper and want to make sure they are plenty strong. I want to put one bolt farther back like a lot of the commercial bumpers available,but cannot figure out exactly where they go? The only bolt that makes sense is the what i think is the rearmost steering box bolt on the drivers side, i really havent looked at the passenger side, but i will assume there is another bolt in that same location on that side. Is this correct?

Also do y'all think that 1"x1/8" flat bar will be enough to attach to the rear bolt, i have a lot of it laying around, and it will save me a trip to the steel place if it seems substantial enough, worst case it will be in tension in a hard pull since my new tow point will be the bumper, and that size steel should be able to hold a pretty good tensile load.

Let me know what you think,
Thanks,
Adam Spencer

spacer.jpg

That pic is of my front driver's side wheelwell, and you can just see the head of a bolt on the left side. I'm pretty sure that's the one you're talking about, but it's the rearmost bolt for my old Rusty's towhooks. There's a matching one on the passenger side, and I recommend your brackets tie into these.

1/8" sounds a little thin to me; my Rusty's brackets were supposedly 1/4" but in reality were closer to a hair over 3/16", I'm sure others will chime in here but I'd go with the thicker material.

I know on my 93, the rear most hole for my factory tow hook brakets is acctually a sleeved hole all the way through the frame, and the bracket bolts through with a big washer on the backside.

Great thread just what i was looking for. quick question for 96 coutnry though, those three shiny bolts towards the front those are new right? Are they threaded into factory nuts, or do the just go through on side of the frame rail, or do the go all the way through the frame rail? sorry for all the querstions i guess that't just how i learn. The other three dull ones are for the steering box right but they other round headed one way in the back is that steering box too? Thanks a bunch

Mike

mylilchero said:
Great thread just what i was looking for. quick question for 96 coutnry though, those three shiny bolts towards the front those are new right? Are they threaded into factory nuts, or do the just go through on side of the frame rail, or do the go all the way through the frame rail? sorry for all the querstions i guess that't just how i learn. The other three dull ones are for the steering box right but they other round headed one way in the back is that steering box too? Thanks a bunch

Mike
I have a ’91, but it’s the same set up as yours. In the above picture the three shiny bolts in the front are the bumper bracket bolts and they go into threaded holes (nutserts) in the frame. The three bolts in the middle are for the steering box and they go through the frame and thread into the steering box. The one shiny one in the back goes completely through the frame and you have to use a nut and washer on it. It doesn’t go into the steering box, its used for the factory tow hook brackets. I built my bumper brackets pretty much the same way with ¼” plate and it has held up well.

mylilchero said:
those three shiny bolts towards the front those are new right? Are they threaded into factory nuts, or do the just go through on side of the frame rail, or do the go all the way through the frame rail? rn. The other three dull ones are for the steering box right but they other round headed one way in the back is that steering box too? Thanks a bunch

Mike

The three shiny ones are factory bumper bolts, front two require nuts, rear shiny one threads into welded on nut, 10mmx1.50 thread size, dark three i beleive are steerign box, and the big shiny carriage bolt in the back goes through a large sleeved hole in the frame, take a look, its easy to spot., this should make more sense once you take off the bumper and just look around, i know it did for me

adam

The front two bumper mount bolts go through some pretty thin material that sticks out from the front cross member. The factory tow hook/bumper brackets provide an L shaped bracket for each side that fits on the inside of that tab, has two welded on nuts for the bumper bolts, and bolts through two holes in the front crossmember. It's short end (L) is the same length as that tab, about an inch, and it's long side is about four inches and lays flat against the front crossmember.

I believe that is a very good addition, considerably strengthens where those two front bolts are attached, and adds some lateral support to the front of the bumper mount. I would highly recomend duplicating those two L braces to anyone who is building their own bumper or mounts.

Putting all three steering box bolts through the bumper mount is also an excellent idea. However, I recommend adding some plate to the inside of the frame, behind the steering box, while you have it off. Might as well do it right away and try to avoid the same problems that many of us have had with numerous cracks in the frame around the steering box. Also, just a reminder to check those steering box bolts regularly.

Here's some closer shots of all the bolts on the drivers side in question.
driver_installed_front.jpg

driver_installed_rear.jpg

I did this to reinforce my ARB bumper brackets. I cut off the stock mounting tabs and welded these plates to the bracket. The plates are 1/4".

Thanks a bunch guys, all these designs seem pretty similar and plenty strong. Even though your steering box bolts now go through and extra 1/4in plate and are pushed out 1/4 inch how come nobody gets new longer bolts to compensate? Just wondering...

Mike

Last edited:
mylilchero said:
Thanks a bunch guys, all these designs seem pretty similar and plenty strong. Even though your steering box bolts now go through and extra 1/4in plate and are pushed out 1/4 inch how come nobody gets new longer bolts to compensate? Just wondering...

Mike

The bolts in mine are 1/2" longer. If it's on my jeep and it's shiney then it's new.

96country said:
The 1/8" is not enough, go with 1/4". Here's a couple of pics to get you started.

frontbumper%20002%20(Medium).jpg

frontbumper%20006%20(Medium).jpg

Hi
I was looking at your bracket for the bumper and I was questionning if ¼ inch was thick enough, with your experience do still feel it was the right choice.
For my bumper bracket I was going for ½ inch but its pretty thick and leave very little space for the sway bar to move up especialy if I put a bolt in the last hole.
What would be your opinion on this issue
Thanks
Zzzz

i guess i can answer since im the one who started this thread 5 months ago:wave:

i ended up using 1/4 and it worked perfectly, i used a large bolt in rear, and designed the brackets much the same as some aftermarket towhook brackets, but extended forward to weld to the bumper,
and while i didnt incorporate the steering box bolts, i have had a couple pretty hard pulls on it, and its held up great

i definitely think 1/2 would be overkill, and be unneccesary if the brackets ar designed properly, and like you said, there will be fewer clearance issues

adam spencer

Back