• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding some more lift

xjrrrdx

NAXJA Forum User
Currently I have the Rustys 3" full leafs on my 96 XJ. I have OME long travel shocks as well. I was wanting add a 1.5 inch spacer and 1.5 inch shackle. First of all would this be safe to do with my current setup. And number two would I need to add any other modifications to my XJ, I just got some new 31 A/Ts so I would like them to still fit well. would I need an SYE, I currently have a t-case drop. The things I am curious about is tires, SYE, will i need extended brake lines or no and a track bar and LCAs or what? thanks a lot

IMO past the 3" mark will need:
New LCA's, longer brake lines, an adj trac bar, longer shocks (or something like the JKS or RRO BPE's to add about a inch or two to the 3" set of shocks), and more than likely a SYE/CV-DS.

The RE hack-n-Tap is a cheap SYE option for your 96 if you have a NP231 TC. I run at slightly over 4" with a TC drop and 4* axle shims. I HATE the TC drop and am working on a SYE solution for the DS. I get 0 vines at any speed, but I know I've still got run-out.

Im thinking about doing the same thing...I want to buy a rusty's 4.5" full leaf pack kit but am hesitant to spend $800 on it. Mostly because i have a problem saving money adn it might be a while before i have that much cash. SO i wis thinking that id go for teh 3" and tehn do just waht you're talking about. You would need a new track bar, LCA, uppers would be a good idea (id go for adjustable) and brake line extensions. you said you already ahve teh TC drop so that should be fine. If you get vibes then you might need a SYE but the only way to tell is to do it. After the shackles and spacers are in drive it a bit and if you get bad vibes look to the hack n tap kit but i here that these are hard to get right so be careful.

God i need money

Well here is what I have heard. If I want a 1.5 inch addition to my 3 inch lift. I need adjustable trackbar, and upper contral arms as well as lower, and of course brake lines.

A few things, do i need to compress the coils in the front in order to fit the spacer in there? And I have heard that it can be a pain to align the upper and lower control arms so is that something i can to on my own? Thanks

I have a RE "3 w/ daystar 1.75 spacers in my '87. I drove for 1 year w/ the stock upper arms, & it was actually acceptable to the handling & tire wear. Of course, the coil looked like an S from the side. I now have adj. RE uppers, & I'm glad to have them, but I did fine w/o em, as I pieced the suspension together on a budget & slow timeframe. I also still don't have the adj. trackbar, just the relocated holeon the axle mount. '33's seem to be centered. You don't need a spring compressor to mount the spacer. Pull the old spring, put on spacer, put coil back in, have a friend help w/ muscle. I've always put in the coils w/ the steering, shocks, & trackbar disconected from the axle, & had the room to squeeze them in. If you change the control arms first & coils/spacers 2nd, they'll fit easier. Control arms can be a pain to get in, you just need to be innovative. A strong ratchet strap can attached to another vehice & various points of the front axle to help pull/push/twist/rotate pinion/etc it into position for the CA bolts to line up.

Back