• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lights Diming??

Jeepster4wd

NAXJA Forum User
Well im running 460Watts of offroad lights. Im running some aftermarket headlights with the h4 bulbs i think r in those. only 55-60 watt though. And also a 160 amp alternator. And for the strangest reason the headlights draw more power????? My voltometer goes down alot more. the needle barley moves with my offroad lights on. When i have both head lgihts and aux lights on my aux lights dim at idle. Whats goin on here?

well your lights are drawing around 46 amps. there are a few things you could look at, number one the gauge wiring you used, it may not be a heavy enough gauge and 2 a 160 amp alternator does not put out 160 amps at idel it puts out around 60 or 70 amps at idel, the engine has to be around 2000 rpm for it to work at its max rated capacity

well what i mean is it will run the 460watts like nothing without dimming when headlights r turned off. as soon as i turn on my headlights it dims. what is causing the headlights to suck up so much juice???

Back