• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best free mods

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
have you ever been flat broke, but wanted to do something to your xj? That's me, what are some cool mods that don't cost any money?

dellstopjeep said:
have you ever been flat broke, but wanted to do something to your xj? That's me, what are some cool mods that don't cost any money?

insert your smart ass answers here ----}____________________ I can hear them coming now...

no smart ass remark just yet, but you can always trim hte fenders which if you have the tools is free. tighten all the nuts is always a good thing. scrounge up some money some how and get it drunk enough so you can do what you want to it

you sick bastard

1. Bend the hard lines of the front brake lines to give you more droop (zip tie them in place, or use an old shoe string if you don't have a zip tie).
2. If you have a grinder with a cutoff wheel, cut the LCA bracket a little to give you more droop.
3. Replace the nuts on top of the stock sway bar connectors with wing nuts to create quick disconnects.
4. Remove the rear sway bar to give you more flex from the leafs.
5. Make the doors removable by cutting off the lower hinge ears.
6. Weld the rear spider gears together to give you a Lincoln locker if you have or can borrow a welder.

That's all I can think of for now. It all depends on what tools you have available and what materials you have laying around.

Do maintenance, pull all the grounds and clean them up. Detail the engine with some cleaning supplies, detail the interior, wash and wax it nicely. Paint the diffs, remove the headlights and clean the corrosion in the sockets.

red91inWA said:
insert your smart ass answers here ----}Use a BFH and enjoy yourself!____________________ I can hear them coming now...
:laugh3:

How good are your "stealth" skills?
Thievery counts as free, right?

When you say "flat broke" are you saying "absolutely no available income" or is it more like "I have 200 for groceries and bills until the holidays or get kicked out of my apartment" or what. Reason I ask is, there are several things you can do for under $20 apiece, but when you are talking spending no money at all, well, you are pretty limited (aside from what xj92 already posted). What kinds of tools and workspace do you have available? Any old parts, bits of metal, plastic etc? Any paint or fiberglass?
B.

Beej said:
Any paint or fiberglass?
mmmmmmm fiberglass.

personally one of my favorite cheap things I did was krylon fusion the fenderflares, door trim and piece over the rear licence plate. Got rid of the nasty chalky color.

add more electrical outlets (12V cigarette plug style)

cut up dad's old extention cords and add annother 12 v plug up front and one in the rear... Take the plugs from an old boat or some other car that you dont drive and BAM!
http://www.opiebennett.com/images/Jeep/IMG_9338.jpg

Instead of painting the fender flares...Get a propane torch and hold it about 4 inches from fender flare and burn the oil out of the faded white old flares to black again...It works and looks great...Just don't get flame to close to flare or hold it in one place too long or you'll have a melt down...Start on one end go all the way around...Then go back other direction...Make long strokes...till it's black again...Works on other faded plastic too side, molding, bumper caps.
I tried another suggestion one time using 000 steel wool...But it takes forever and doesn't do as good a job as the propane torch idea...and only takes about a 1/2 hour if that...

Hello XJ92...

What do you mean in your #2 suggestion...Got a pic to show what your describing for the LCA?
And the suggestion in #5 do you have a pic and or describe more about how to do it...

Thanks...

John...

xj92 said:
1. Bend the hard lines of the front brake lines to give you more droop (zip tie them in place, or use an old shoe string if you don't have a zip tie).
2. If you have a grinder with a cutoff wheel, cut the LCA bracket a little to give you more droop.
3. Replace the nuts on top of the stock sway bar connectors with wing nuts to create quick disconnects.
4. Remove the rear sway bar to give you more flex from the leafs.
5. Make the doors removable by cutting off the lower hinge ears.
6. Weld the rear spider gears together to give you a Lincoln locker if you have or can borrow a welder.

That's all I can think of for now. It all depends on what tools you have available and what materials you have laying around.

What do you mean in your #2 suggestion...Got a pic to show what your describing for the LCA?
And the suggestion in #5 do you have a pic and or describe more about how to do it...

I believe in #2 he is talking about cutting away some of the perch, that the shock mounts to, above the lcs this will keep the lca from coming in contact at full droop.

and in #5 there are several write ups on this circulating around, try searching for door removal.

Like this:
P3050033.JPG

And then look at yours... I used a $15 4" grinder from HomeDepot.

Works great! Then you can do this:

(BEFORE)

back-before.jpg

(AFTER)

back-done.jpg

bburge

Back