• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine block heater

XJ4PLAY

NAXJA Member #1194
Has anyone installed an engine block heater, factory part, but after they bought the vehicle, not a factory installed option. I moved from California to a snowy cold climate and want to install one of these. I have done the research on parts and installation in the manuals and online. When I went to look at my Cherokee, it will not be an easy install. It has to be installed, according to the instructions, in the rear most, toward the firewall, freeze plug. This means little to no access without a bit of disassembly of other things, header/exhaust and things in that area. Anyone have a thought on installing it in a more easily accessable freeze plug, not the one in the far back? What could be the issues with putting it somewhere else other where specified?
Thank you.

I have a 1996 Cherokee, 4.0, AW4, NP-231
My buddy, who is in the same situation, has a 1993 Grand Cherokee 4.0, Auto, NP-242 and a 1993 Cherokee, 4.0, 5 spd., Atlas II.
Would there be a difference in which vehicle it would work for answering the questions above?

Last edited:
I have an engine block heater, it came with my XJ when I got it. It works pretty well, heats up the fluids and instant heat when I start the engine

my block heater came from the factory. and I'm 90% sure its in the hole closest to the front driverside corner of the jeep.

I can't see any pit falls to mounting it in any of the freeze plugs.

First, you're living in Washington, it doesn't get very cold there, do you even need the heater? I live in Alaska, temps in the -20 quite regualary.

Anyway, I have 94 XJ that i installed an engine block heater to, it was quite simple. Drain the coolant, remove air filter box, knock out front driver side freeze plug, insert heater, route wire, fill with coolant, re-install air filter box. Then check for leaks, which was quite easy here, just check the snow for some green stuff.

The MOPAR instructions say FRONT freeze plug - as indicated earlier posts -- works fine - just secure the electric cord to keep it from harm with wire ties.

I've put them in a couple of vehicles, one thing I did do was to attach a stress relief line from the plug end to some body steel behind the grill. Used steel plastic coated wire with a crimped on lug on both ends, also seen it done with a woven steel mesh tube around the wire. This prevented it from pulling out, one was in my dodge custom van and my parents would grab it if they got up earlier than me on a sat or sun morning, not always remembering to unplug the heater [mom was the worst one for that]. Another alternative is to get an old computer power supply and grab the 110 3 prong female socket, mount that to where you want it, then use a plain old computer or monitor type power wire to plug it into the house or extension cable. I know there are a couple of companies that make adapters just for that that have a flip down spring loaded door to cover the socket when not in use. This keeps it from getting iced up which can make it difficult to use after you get home for the nite and want to plug it in. You can also clip one of the computer/monitor type cables and use the cut off end as a protection plug if you use the female power supply socket..
Also remember to anchor the power cord to the house too, otherwise you might be dragging a 50 ft orange tail behind you down the road or worse, whatever you do DON'T use a twist lock and I won't go into that any further, suffice to say a twist lock is a very bad idea :D ...

I put one into an '88 4.0L XJ -- it went in the forward-most freeze plug hole. The longest part of the whole deal was witing for the engine to cool off enough to pop the old plug without getting scalded.

how do u go about popping out the freeze plug?

how exactly does the heater plug "install"?
like what exactly keeps it in place?

ive heard stories about them popping out while driving....do u think this is really possible?

thanks

capttrev

Normally they look like a big rubber plug, you stick them in the freeze plug hole and tighten a nut, they expand and lock in place. They work well and don't generally fall out or anything. As for getting the old one out, the ones I've done are generally reachable with a tapered pin and a hammer :D Make a hole and pry it out... also done it with a very small chisel and worked my way around the edges, you reach a certain point and the whole plug will rotate in the hole, grab with pliers and remove..

Yeah, I know this thread is old, but I figured this info would be useful for anyone searching for the same info in the future. Besides, my block heater just got here today (it makes sense to me to install one despite living in SoCal, OK?), so while I've got the instructions handy transcribing them would probably be worthwhile.

Note that none of the three illustrations in the instructions (which are largely superfluous as long as you follow the written instructions) are included. I've also retained spelling, etc. as per the original; no corrections have been made.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS, 6 CYL. BLOCK HEATER

Warning: Before connecting heater to power source, be sure that the element is immersed in coolant. NEVER energize heater in air. If so energized, element sheath could burst causing personal injury.

1. Disconnect Battery negative cable from battery.

2. Drain coolant from radiator and engine block.

3. Locate left front core plug on engine block for removal. See Fig. 1.

4. Remove core plug using a blunt tool such as a drift or screwdriver and hammer, strike the bottom edge of the core plug. With the core plug rotated, grasp firmly with pliers or other suitable tool and remove plug. See Fig. 2.
Note: Core plug must be removed from engine to prevent blockage to the coolant flow.

5. Clean machined part of hole; remove burrs, compound, paint, rough spots, or sharp outer edges.

6. Apply a coating of Non-petroleum based lubricant to the "o" ring and machined surface of hole.

7. Insert hairpin end of heating element into block opening and orientate element to the 12 o'clock position. See Fig. 3.

8. Centre and push heater assembly into block until fully seated. With heater fully seated, tighten centre screw to 28-36 IN. LBS.
Caution: excessive tightening is not necessary.

9. Plug cord into heater assembly and route towards front of vehicle and through the grille. Secure with tie straps provided.
Warning: The cord must not contact sharp objects, the engine, or any hot or moving parts.

10. Fill cooling system with recommended coolant.

11. Start engine and check for leaks.

Colby said:
I put one in afew years ago and love it. For the plug I used a Marinco charger inlet that I screwed to my front bumper after I cut the hole with a hole saw. Looks great. Like it came from the factory that way.

Nice! I may actually end up doing something similar after mine's in (just have to get the time to change the coolant first).

FWIW, the instructions were copied from the Mopar kit supplied by jeepsareus.com.

Back