• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque converter lock up

smallxj

NAXJA Forum User
so i was reading up on this and i havent found of anyone having the transmision over heating ois this gonna be problem? So what would happen if i drove in 4 low with the converter locked up in 1st would it crawl slower or faster? Should i maybe look into a tranny cooler

in 4 low, you want it off when you're on the gas, one when you're on the brake. It will help with compression braking when going downhill, when going uphill (or just on the gas) you want it to unlock so the convertor can slip and you get about a 2:1 reduction out of the slip.

I think EVERY XJ should have a tranny cooler, a big good one if you're ever going to do some crawling.

I did this mod (steve88xj.com) and I couldn't tell a difference when the tc was locked up. I got better results with the mod that leaves the trans in 1st gear - good engine braking. I still can't get it to crawl up at idle (4:56 gears, 32" tires)

BrettM said:
in 4 low, you want it off when you're on the gas, one when you're on the brake. It will help with compression braking when going downhill, when going uphill (or just on the gas) you want it to unlock so the convertor can slip and you get about a 2:1 reduction out of the slip.

I think EVERY XJ should have a tranny cooler, a big good one if you're ever going to do some crawling.

Where is that link that talks about all the partnumbers and stuff to build the manual aw4 shifter?

Ive found a good deal on an aw4 to replace my 5sp, but not sure If I want to buy a TCU for $50-75 with harness or do the manual shifter.

ashmanjeepxj said:
Where is that link that talks about all the partnumbers and stuff to build the manual aw4 shifter?

Ive found a good deal on an aw4 to replace my 5sp, but not sure If I want to buy a TCU for $50-75 with harness or do the manual shifter.
you mean the manual shifter I build? that link is here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242965

if you want me to make you one I will need to know by Friday cause I'm going home (from school) then for a month, and I wasn't planning on taking my wiring stuff with me, but I can.

so how did the selectable auto/manual shifter work out ?????... I'd like to have it auto for D/D and man. for wheeling.......

BrettM said:

Well that dosent help me much, Ive found a 96 XJ AW4. Should I pass and look for 91-95? Its got 100K and he wants $200.

"You will need to install it with the flexplate associated with your ignition system" Whats a flex plate?

gojeep.com or steve88xj.com for manual aw4 shifting.

I only use the manual shift when wheeling (going down hill). Basically you are installing a switch to leave the trans in 1st gear. With the switch on, the tcu works like normal. With the switch off, you have 1st, 3rd, 4th.

ashmanjeepxj said:
Well that dosent help me much, Ive found a 96 XJ AW4. Should I pass and look for 91-95? Its got 100K and he wants $200.

"You will need to install it with the flexplate associated with your ignition system" Whats a flex plate?
that's pretty old, it has been successfully done with a newer (97?) tranny. that 96 tranny will work fine.

a flex-plate is like the flywheel, but for an auto tranny it weighs much less because it only serves to engage the starter. IE, Renix years flexplate with Renix motors, HO flexplate with HO motors. not sure if they changed it at all during the HO years.

BrettM said:
that's pretty old, it has been successfully done with a newer (97?) tranny. that 96 tranny will work fine.

a flex-plate is like the flywheel, but for an auto tranny it weighs much less because it only serves to engage the starter. IE, Renix years flexplate with Renix motors, HO flexplate with HO motors. not sure if they changed it at all during the HO years.

Thanks, so my 88's fly wheel wont work with a 96 aw4, I need to find an 88-aw4 flex plate, the 96 flex plate from an HO wont work?

Maybe the guy will give me his old flexplate any ways. :D
I get it on the 31s.

I don't know if a flywheel will work in place of a flexplate, but I know it's not the "right" way. You need the flexplate for a Renix motor because the CPS takes its reading off the flexplate so you need the right one for your CPS so you don't confuse the engine computer. My new flexplate was 50-some dollars at my local parts store.

Back