• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air blowing in abve window channel felt seals

Ray H

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and found nothing. The front and rear door window channel seals are shinking or sliding down into the door. There is about 3/4" gap at the top of each window channel. It lets in alot of air and wind noise and on odd occasions has let rain droplets in.
Anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it without evasive surgery? I tried pulling them back up where they belong but the first time I roll the window down, they come down with it. Are they shinking as they age or are they actually sliding down inside the door?

I had to use a dab of contact cement every 3-4 inches or so. Think there are some stiffiners in the channel that rotted or got soft. Priced replacements and decided to make what I had last as long as possible.
Mine were worse near the bottom of the window rail than at the top.
A good dry lubricant spray (teflon or graphit) or a rubber friendly silicon spray really makes a difference in how the windows function.

Also if you have any sand embedded in the channel, the window itself could be helping in pulling them down too...

My division bar channels did that, they were drying out and shrinking / cracking. The stock replacements are really expensive, but I found these at JC Whitney:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/all-rubber-window-channels/p2009944.jcwx

Choose style 20, it's unbeaded, meaning that it doesn't stick out past the division bar on each side like a moulding like the stock ones do, but fits perfectly and looks great. No more window rattles or air leaks, and you can't beat the price! It comes in an 8 foot roll.

You really should remove the entire division bar to install them, my old channel had a small rivit at the bottom of the track that secures it from sliding up and down. It had to be drilled out, but it really is an easy job.

I had an issue with some missing/breaking/falling down into the door.

I hit the junkyard, found a few XJ's with nice seals, and bought them for next to nothing.

Instead of replacing the entire thing, I cut these "new" ones into pieces that fit where I needed them, and I have some extra for any future issues.

The Jeep is much quieter now.

"You really should remove the entire division bar to install them, my old channel had a small rivit at the bottom of the track that secures it from sliding up and down. It had to be drilled out, but it really is an easy job. "

The rivit is why it "shriks" down. This is a very irritating common problem. I have 3 XJ's, 90, 92, and 98 all with the same problem. JCW is good info.

Almost any automotive glass shop can sell you the material at a reasonable cost, and you might be surprised at how little they would charge you to install it.

Back