• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Affordable (read cheap) alignment in Chicagoland?

GusDaDog

NAXJA Forum User
I need an alignment to fix my Death Whobble before I drive to Detroit for Christmas.... it would be a LONG drive at 45mph.....

...anyway, I paid $40 back in Michigan at Belle Tire for my last alignment, I tried Sears locally and they want $70.... anyone have a better lead?

well it would be a REALLY long drive, but I got my 91 talon aligned at a shop in Arlington Heights Il, that offered FREE lifetime alignments for $75, one time fee. This included minor tweaking after suspension mods etc. I talked to the guy beforehand about everything, and he said I can change anything I want, he gave me all the readouts, and he would let me set any of the adjustments to whatever degree etc. I would like. Even if the were out of factory spec. Zip is 60004 incase you feel like checking out how far away it is. I thought it was a killer deal for lifetime alignments!

What makes you think that the alignment is causing the death wobble? How much air pressure are you running? Is your dampner good? Trac bar tight?

I believe the lifetime alignments are now up to $100 or so. I'm in ElkGrove and can do it for $59.95. All it is ,is a toe set, their really isn't any built in camber or caster adjustments. Although they can be done.

I aligned my junk in my garage. Took it to the rack for $70 immediately following to see how close I got. Toe was at +.17 on both sides; should be at zero. The closest the tech could get it was +.03; it changed that much just by putting your hand on the tie rod. Not enough to make a difference. Do it yourself.

There are about 10,000 things that can cause death wobble. Do a search and start eliminating causes. One thing that helped me immensely was getting my tires balanced, as it had been about 2 years since the last.

(I run ~6 inches of lift w/ 33's)

GusDaDog said:
I need an alignment to fix my Death Whobble before I drive to Detroit for Christmas.... it would be a LONG drive at 45mph.....

...anyway, I paid $40 back in Michigan at Belle Tire for my last alignment, I tried Sears locally and they want $70.... anyone have a better lead?

I'd give a call to Levine Tire in Hammond on the corner of Indy Blvd and 169th. Its four lights north of 80/94. I've had mine done there and it too is a lifetime warrenty. It should be less then Sears and is closer to you then either El Grove or Bloomington/ab-Normal, IL. Levine's might have a location in Merrillville too.

well I assume it's my lift and alignment because I never had a wobble before the lift and immediately following the lift I had the wobble....running the same tires even.... but I'll double check the tire pressure today too..... and last weekend we put the front on jackstands and checked that everything was tight....

You don't even need a garage! It's fairly fast and simple! :us:

GusDaDog said:

Id just go to Beezils and have him do it for ya.

Chewy

ChEwBaCcA said:
Id just go to Beezils and have him do it for ya.

Chewy

chewdawg...where ya been brotha. i hope all is good with ya.

cheers,

jj

Back