• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much lift for 40s?

Hi guys, I'm new here so hopefully this isn't too stupid of a question, i tried searching but have not found what i'm looking for yet.

I bought a wrecked 97 4 door xj that I plan to use as a trail rig. Right now my plan is a 4.0/aw4/203/300 with a chevy 60 front and 14 bolt rear. Naturally 5.13 gears. I am planning to run 40" iroks with leafs front and rear. I realize I need to cage and sleave this thing, just wanted to let you know i'm not that new.

I plan on cutting as much sheetmetal as possible and lifting as little as possible to get the clearance i need for these tires. I was wondering if a 4.5" lift pack would be enough in the rear, will it be too much with a god amount of cutting? I'm trying to build for mostly downtravel and set bumpstops accordingly. I may flip the springs around to get more wheelbase so i can cut out to make more room for the tires. I still want some uptravel on this thing.

I don't want to make this thing way top heavy and too tall. I will probably run stock waggy springs in the front since i already have 2 pairs of them. Will the front sit too low with stock waggys compared to the back if i run 4.5" of lift there? Should i just get a set of 44044s and be done with it?

Sorry if this has been covered, I didn't find much info on 1 ton xjs. Thanks for the help.

stock Waggys will give about 6" up front. this question really depends on how much you're willing to cut. CheapXJ runs 36s on about 3" lift. I'd shoot for 6" and massive cutting and rebuilding of fenders (inner and outer). unless of course your axles were wide enough to put the tires outside the fenders :laugh3:

Dang!

overkill.jpg

Back