• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone have this same problem?

WHEEL'er-DLR

NAXJA Forum User
i have a '91 xj w/ a 4.0 HO. when my fuel gauge registers empty and i go to fill it up..it will only allow about 15 gallons. [and thats pushing it] the manuel says i have a 20 gal tank! the jeep dlr says that i possibly rec. a diff. fuel pump at assembly and i might actually still have 4 to 5 gallons in my tank even though it shows i'm empty. any one with the same situation??

I think the most I have ever got to fit into my 89 (20 gl also) was around 17 gallons. This was after driving as far as I dared with the gas light on

OTOH I really have to top mine way off to get it to register all the way full. Some filling stations pumps auto-shutoff may be more sensitive? :dunno:

More Gas

There is a way to get more fuel in your tank. they engineered an abnormal amount of expansion room into the tank. Go jeep has a quick and easy fix:
More fuel
Hope this helps.

You gotta drive below empty :) :) Believe me, our tanks do take 20gallons..... Sometimes I am so late leaving work and I haven't had time to take lunch to get gas, that it's down to go take gas (out of my way) and be home at least 30 minutes later (baaaaad traffic in LA) or pray to jeep gods that you have enough gas to make it home to a gas station LOL.........

Kejtar

I use to run mine until the low-fuel light stopped blinking, (remained on) then I would refuel and it would only take 15-16 gallons. Then one day I had fueled up, something happened that required the removal of the fuel tank, and pulled out 20 gallons of fuel. This really tripped me out for several times I had wheeled until the tank was 'empty' and always made it home.

Back