• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop Brackets Hitting Chunk

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
So it has been brought to my attention that a few people have had problems with RE UpperCA's and drop brackets hitting the diff in articulation. It isn't clear at what lift height this problem happens, or if any bumpstopping is done, but people tend to solve it with a taller set up.

I'm only wanting about 5 inches... from a kit that includes the DB's. I'm sure I'll bumpstop some. Do any of you Drop bracket Users with 4 to 5.5 inches of lift have the problem mentioned above? It was discussed at jeepin.com in a recent thread.

Just when you think you have it all worked out... another wrench gets thrown into the machine...

Thanks
HarveOut-

In all the reading I did, I havent heard of that problem. Did you find anything on NAXJA about it?

I'm aat 4" and dont have any problems like that.

Fergie

Look on Jeepin.com and do a search for drop brackets. It will come up near the top of the list and it will be obvious which one it is. They even have close up pictures that show the contact spots.

They say that the UCA hits about an inch before full stuff..

Hmmm...I'm going to have to go look into this tomorrow (assuming the Heep starts). First I've heard of it, too.

If you look at that pic, the guy has some serious angle issues. The pinion's pointed WAY up...
Maybe a reason...?

You'll have to explain what looks skewed about the u-joint. Here's the pics your talking about. Right now the only issue I have is the UCA hitting the diff. It has enough caster to track straight and the pinion angle takes most of the vibes out of the front. If I shorten the uppers, the vibes get worse.

It's not a big deal really, I'll have my longarms does in about a month so the DBs are going away.

uca.jpg

Here's how it sit's on flat ground.

dbs%20072.jpg

96country said:
You'll have to explain what looks skewed about the u-joint. Here's the pics your talking about. Right now the only issue I have is the UCA hitting the diff. It has enough caster to track straight and the pinion angle takes most of the vibes out of the front. If I shorten the uppers, the vibes get worse.

It's not a big deal really, I'll have my longarms does in about a month so the DBs are going away.

uca.jpg
That helps explain it better. This pic was a little misleading.

Meh, it was late when I looked at the pics, and posting after a few hours of sleep doesnt give you the best memory.

But I do think I know what is causing your problems...the Maltese Cross on your diff cover. Grind that off and your UCA wont hit anymore.

Fergie

from what I can tell in that pic, the upper adjustable arm seems to be too long. When the susp is compressed it looks like the upper arm is pushing the top of the axle forward to make a crazy pinion angle. Where everything mounts, I dont know how the driveshaft would hit anything though... unless the front axle itself is moving in a side-side direction.. trackbar not adjusted right or something.. it just doesnt make sense that anything would come into contact with that setup...

Everything is adjusted properly. The axle is centered under the Jeep and it tracks great with little front vibes. I know I can shorten the UCA and it won't hit anymore, but then the vibes get pretty bad. I started with the uppers at 15 3/4" and the UCA hit so I shortened them to 15 1/2" and they still hit. I used this chart for the lengths. Link

The solution for me is gonna be a 44 front and longarms.

That link is actually incorrect as far as lengths go.

Stock measurement from axle tube to frame rail is 6.75" I believe. Take your measurement from there and subtract the stock height to get your actual lift height.

Then take that number and square it and add 248.0625. Take the resulting number and square root it. That number will be the length of the arm you need with out DBs. If you have DBs, then you need to take your actaul lift height number and subtract 3" from it, and use 232.5625 instead of the 248 number.

All of that give you your LCA length.

I'll post the UCA/LCA relation as soon as I find it.

Fergie

96country said:
Everything is adjusted properly. The axle is centered under the Jeep and it tracks great with little front vibes. I know I can shorten the UCA and it won't hit anymore, but then the vibes get pretty bad. I started with the uppers at 15 3/4" and the UCA hit so I shortened them to 15 1/2" and they still hit. I used this chart for the lengths. Link

The solution for me is gonna be a 44 front and longarms.

what length are the LCA? what lift?

Back